Best Practice for new file share structure using a DFS namespace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Practice for new file share structure using a DFS namespace

Hi all - I'm hoping you can help me figure out the best way to configure a new file server departmental share using DFS namespaces. I basically have the following

We have a single 2008 file server on a 2003 Domain.

File server has a DFS namespace configured called "Departmental". This is a share on the file server. (note we're not currently or planning any replication )

I'd like to create all the departments under this "Departmental" share i.e. Finance, IT, HR etc. So that users can map a drive via \\domain.name\departmental\Finance for example

So I'd like to know how I should configure this DFS namespace and also the share/NTFS permissions. So I'm wondering if this is correct/best practice:

Scenario A
    i. Assign Full control to the "Departmental" share to "Authenticated Users" and give this folder "list folder contents" NTFS permissions only to "Authenticated Users" so they can see the specific departments below the root
    ii. Create folders under "Departmental" share and assign NTFS permissions on each folder

Scenario B

i. Assign Full control to the "Departmental" share to "Authenticated Users" and give "list folder contents" to "Authenticated Users"
    ii. Create folders under "Departmental" share and also create shares for each folder created.

Basically looking to have all departments under the "departmental" share, want users to be able to map drives and access via DFS path, and I want it easy to administrate.

I can use ROBOcopy to copy over the folders from the old server to replace the permissions on the subfolders, which is nice.

Let me know what you think...really not sure whether to "share-out" the departments underneath the root - and not sure if I should be doing anything else with DFS in this scenario.

Thanks.
Working...
X