Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to access website after swapping DNS

Hi

I have had an old server go down which was used as a second DNS on my network, since then I have been unable to access a particular website.

Both do not have a firewall installed, and an though the same router and firewall.

I and not also access the site though its IP address.

Thank you

Re: unable to access website after swapping DNS

If you cant access via IP address, it is not a DNS problem
    Check your firewall
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have checked TCP/IP filtering and the box is unticked.

There is no firewall on the server just on the router which is the same router that the older server went though.

Comment

Could you clarify something for me: All PCs in the building cannot access the website via DNS name or IP address, correct? Are you sure you can access the website outside of the network as well? If that DNS server was secondary, your clients were only looking at it if the first one went down so more than likely, unless that second server went down occasionally, your clients never used it as a DNS server. I think that's a red herring.

Can you ping that IP address? Can you ping the domain name? What errors shows when you use nslookup against your available DNS server to resolve that website's name?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

What do you mean you swapped DNS???

Was this site internal or external???

Was this website hosted on the failed server???

Comment

Originally posted by bavisimo View Post
            I have checked TCP/IP filtering and the box is unticked.

There is no firewall on the server just on the router which is the same router that the older server went though.
            Hi ,

As a basic steps towards troubleshooting do the following

If i am not wrong (may be i can be) this is intranet website

First of all check the iis manager and check if your website is running or not
            if it's running, check if it's using some different port.

If it's using a different port then probably you need to mention port no while accessing web site like http://www.something.comortNo.

by now if you are able to see your site up and running this means ur web site is publish correctly if it fails then we need to proceed with what kind of error msg you get.

We tell you further set ups if it works for you.

Hope this info may help you
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect
            Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Hi

the error message is when tring it from fqdn is:

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
              Internet connectivity has been lost.
              The website is temporarily unavailable.
              The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
              The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
              There might be a typing error in the address.
              If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.
              For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
              To view subscribed feeds
              Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.
              To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
              Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
              Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.
              For offline users

To view subscribed feeds
              Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.
              Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

For offline users

To view subscribed feeds
              Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the Page you want to view.
              and from IP is:

The page cannot be displayed

Explanation: There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.Try the following:
              <LI id=L_defaultr_8>Refresh page: Search for the page again by clicking the Refresh button. The timeout may have occurred due to Internet congestion. <LI id=L_defaultr_9>Check spelling: Check that you typed the Web page address correctly. The address may have been mistyped.
              Access from a link: If there is a link to the page you are looking for, try accessing the page from that link.
              Technical Information (for support personnel)
              Error Code: 403 Forbidden. The server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). Contact the server administrator. (12202)

Comment

Hi I have tried the ports and the ones that it uses are both come with the same error.

Yes all PCs in the building cannot access the website via DNS name or IP address. But it can be accessed outside.

I can not ping the website.

What I means by swapping DNS is that we had to server running DNS and older windows 2000 server which we as demomisioning and later had blue screen of death, and newer server 2003 which does most of the jobs. there has been no other problems with the old server going other that this site ( and it ran antivrius updates, but something else)

So when I swapped DNS on the network card of the PC manualy it then stopped accessing the site.

thanks

Comment

It is an external site

Comment

What did you swap the DNS server to???

Can you please post an ipconfig /all of the machine having the issue.

Comment

Hi I feel a bit silly,

Looked up the IP for the site on the net and its was different from the one in the DNS cashe

So to test I added it to the lmhosts and it then worked.

I can't remember how to do that in DNS so I am looking it up now so everyone can access it.

Thanks for your help

Comment

If this is an external site, then your DNS should be asking an External DNS for teh address. This is done by configuring Forwarders on your internal DNS. Right click /Properties on your DNS should give you a Forwarders tab. Enter your ISP's DNS in the tab (or openDNS - or whatever you use).
                        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                        http://www.wintra.co.il/
                        sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Are you sure you added it to the lmhosts. file? In case it was a typo, might I suggest you remove the entry from the hosts. file before you forget it is there and site has either a FQDN or IP change.

I'm, err told it can take quite some time to diagnose such an issue.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'd have just cleared the DNS cache and tried again without adding to HOSTS or LMHOSTS files.

Comment

Working...
                            X