DNS Entries for Websites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Entries for Websites

I have IIS configured, but still can't see the websites. I have two websites using multiple headers on port 80. I now need to make DNS entries for them on Server 2003. I'm not real sure of how to do this. I can get to DNS and right click Forward Lookup Zone, select add zone, and that's as far as I get. Can someone take me from there?

Re: DNS Entries for Websites

As usual.......

http://www.petri.com/install_and_con...dns_server.htm

Once you have a forward lookup zone setup, create a host record (A record) with the name of the server (to be the same as your host header) and point to the IP of your web server.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

THanks for your reply, I think I did what I was supposed to. Does it take a few minutes for the websites to show up? I still can't see them as of five minutes after the changes. I've taken a Print Screen of my DNS. Would some one mind taking a look at it to see if it looks right? The two websites are www.hohneng.com and www.onsite.bz. (Don't try to go to them directly now because they are on another server that works right now).

Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

No-one except those internally will be able to get to that IP address. 192.168.x.x is used only on internal networks.

Are you internal??

Do you host your websites on your internal network??

If not then you need to enter the website address in the host record.

If internal have you cleared the DNS cache on the local server??

ipconfig /flushdns

Comment

Yes, I am hosting the websites internally. Why do I need to flush the DNS? I have not done this.

Should I enter the IP address that the outside world sees?

Comment

what FQDN are you using to go to the server and what have you setup your host headers to be ?

In the screenshot you should be using

www.hohneng.com.hohneng.local

which doesn't seem very logical.

Comment

Yes the FQDN is www.hohneng.com.hohneng.local

I have entered two host headers for each website:
              www.hohneng.com & hohneng.com
              wwww.onsite.bz & onsite.bz

Comment

you've just answered our own question then.

Unless you have setup "catch all" web site then none will be listed until it matches a host header.

why have www.hohneng.com.hohneng.local ??? I'm lost by that.

topper

Comment

Well in server 2003 when you right click server name and choose to enter a New Host (A), like you directed me to, there is a grey box that already lists "hohneng.local" now when I type in the top box "www.hohneng.com" it appends it to the previous to make "www.hohneng.com.hohneng.local".

If you have access to Server 2003 and do this for yourself you will see what I mean. Now if you are confused I'm really confused because I know it is just a matter of making a few entries to see these two websites. I just need a little guidance with someone who has experience doing this in Server 2003 on an internal network. Anyone......

Comment

You need to create a new zone.

Right click you DNS server and create new forward lookup zone. Select Primary zone, and the name will be hohneng.com. Once setup create an A record but do not type www.hohneng.com just type www and the ip address.

Job done.
                    topper

Comment

Thanks Topper, you're the greatest. Worked like a charm. I knew it was easy, just didn't know exactly what I was doing. There's one little glitch: I wanted to also type hohneng.com and onsite.bz in the web address bar without the "www" and get to the site. I though it would work to create another A record and leave the name blank (not type in www) and it Name ends up being "same as parent" which is hohneng.com. But this doesn't seem to work.

In my server 2000 I have 4 zones: www.hohneng.com, hohneng.com, www.onsite.bz, and onsite.bz. It works like a charm, but I like the way you instructed me to do and wonder if you have further instructions on how to make it work without the www also.

Comment

WHoa nevermind. The way I did it DID work, it just took a few minutes to take.

THANKS AGAIN!

Comment

No worries mate, glad you got it working, and thanks for letting us know how you got on.

topper

Comment

Working...
                          X