Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Service Pack 2

Hello All

This is driving me crazy! I have build a dell denemsion 5150 as a windows server with the correct drivers everything works ok until i install service pack for windows everything install ok then i reboot the server then nothing comes on the screen! then i restart in safe mode in work a treat again!

Re: Installing Service Pack 2

Server 2000 or 2003 (or maybe even NT4)?
    Anything in the logs?
    When it is "nothing on the screen" can you get in remotely?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Usually the video driver, uninstall it in safe mode, reboot and let Windows auto-detect it. There may well not be a compatible driver though seeing as you are running a Server OS on a desktop.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

hello

i have all tried the safe mode driver reinstall but to no avai, it really start to annoy me no event error in the log files

Comment

Which version of Windows is it?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Its Windown server 2003 it work fine until i put the service pack 2 on the dell machine

Comment

Which version of Windows Server 2003. 2003 or 2003 R2?

Have you tried slipstreaming SP2 onto the install CD and installing it that way?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What's the graphics card? Chances are there won't be a Server 2003 driver for it, especially if it's Nvidia or ATI. Intel integrted chipsets might have 2K3 drivers though. If it's one of the former then it might be worth trying an XP driver.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi

cheers for your reply I think its got something with the dell graphics driver I have contact dell about this waiting for a reply. I also went to userguide.co.uk to buy a recovery disk, really i think i should have not installed windows server 2003 on a desktop pc I should have recycle an old server the reason being i trying to upgrade exchange 2003 to 2007 I thought of virulaztion this so i would have a phiyscal dc on a different network then installed exchange 2007

Comment

Does this Dell have 64bit hardware? If it doesn't then you will not get Exchange 2007 (except for the 32 bit demo version) to run on it.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

HI.

Your can install the window first and then the Service pack.

After installing the service pack your can install the all the driver that you need.

It can be a driver problem. " in safe mode most driver are disabled"

Comment

Hey

Yeap i can install windows server 2003 I look in device manager all the deviced are loaded and update, its when i put on windows service pack 2 it install the service pack then ask to reboot that the last i see of it the screen has green icon the comouter is running but no screen. Its very annoying but as some said why are you install server on a desktop machine.

Comment

Have you tried any of the suggestion posted above?
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes I have tried all the suggestion above

Comment

Is this DELL machine using an OEM version of Server 2003? Is this Server 2003 without R2?
                              Go through (5 pages of) http://www.smallbizserver.net/Articl...-SBS-2003.aspx but note there are some items specific to DELL machines. Although this is specifically for SBS, many of the initial problems are also for Server 2003.
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X