Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow copies on mirrored drive

Hello,
    I have a question about the volume shadow copy. The configuration of my server is:
    C: drive (2 physical drives in software mirror)
    D: drive (4 physical drives in software raid-5)

I've enabled VSS on D: drive and specified C: drive as a disk to store snapshots. It is our file server.
    I noticed the slow response time from the shared folders on D: drive - it is slower than before.
    Performance shows that avg disk time is very high on C: (D: is ok), sometimes 80% and even
    higher... We have many connections to the folders on D: drive and make many many changes during the day.
    My question is: is this because C: is sofware mirror ? What would be the best option to fix this ?
    I can see only one option: to install an additional hard drive into that server and save snapshots on it...
    Any ideas ?
    thank you in advance for your help!
    regards,

Mihail Kravsun
    MCSA, CCNA

Re: Shadow copies on mirrored drive

IMHO software RAID is a programming experiment and should never be used in production.

Comment

Concur, but it does give nice pretty pictures in the Disk Management Console
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I know that it is at least to say "not a good idea" to use a software raid on the
        file server, however, at that time when I built it the budget was limited.
        And this is what I am going to do to try and fix it: I will install an additional IDE drive (all
        existing drives are scsi) and will move pagefile and storage for snapshots to that drive.
        Hopefully this will reduce loading on C:
        thanks
        regards,

Mihail Kravsun
        MCSA, CCNA

Comment

Do you mean IDE drive as in IDE or as in SATA?

I think you should seriously look at a reasonable 2 channel RAID Controller and get rid of the Software RAID. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...&meta=&aq=f&oq=
          The controllers aren't that expensive now and if you take away the cost of the IDE drive you are going to purchase then it becomes even more cost effective.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X