Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing builtin empty group from Active Directory

Hi All,

I've got several empty builtin group in my Active directory and I wonder if i can safely delete those groups ?

the RTC* group was a leftover from Office Communicator Server 2007 that was removed from the domain due to the hardware failure (removed explicitly from the domain and not sure how to cleanup the AD entry database after that since the server is completely rebuild on new server name and hardware.)

any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    AWT
    Attached Files

Re: removing builtin empty group from Active Directory

If you rebuilt OCS as you say then the groups should not be deleted. The SIDs are probably still in use by the new installation. If you didn't rebuild OCS then you should look into metadata cleanup.

and just to rant; why the heck can't even Microsoft stick to consistant naming fromat?

DHCP Administrators
    DnsAdmins
    SuperDuperAdmins
    SuperDuperTrooperAdminsGroup
    Last edited by Garen; 10th February 2010, 01:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
      If you rebuilt OCS then the groups should not be deleted. If you didn't rebuild OCS you need to lookup metadata cleanup.
      Yes Garen, in the next 2-3 months I'll rebuild it with new server name and new version (2007 R2).

What about the other non OCS related group ? is it safe to delete ?

Comment

I happen to be a neat freak myself but you just need to resist deleting built in groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
          I happen to be a neat freak myself but you just need to resist deleting built in groups.
          Yeah, me too at the moment i was quite surprise that I've seen so many empty groups in my server that is built in or not created by me manualy.

thanks for the suggestion Garen

Comment

Working...
          X