Shared vs NTFS Permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared vs NTFS Permissions

Could someone take a moment and look at Q 78 on this list of practice tests that I found on the internet?

I am not sure as to why "A" is the correct answer. I thought that if NTFS
    permissions that are more restrictive will override share permissions, and
    that the NTFS "Read" permissions on d:\userdata would be in effect, and override the Share Full Control permissions

I don't like any other answer, either.

Thanks for your time.

Link Removed by Mod.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ahinson; 9th February 2010, 22:01.

Re: Shared vs NTFS Permissions

A is correct. The most restrictive permissions will be applied. In that case it's A.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

But my confusion is that it seems like the NTFS permissions are already more restrictive, so no one would really have "Full Control" anyway. The NTFS read permissions are already in effect.

What am I missing.

Comment

Well, of the answers given, A is the only workable one
        By changing the share permission to Change, you will remove the ability to change permissions from everything IF accessed via a UNC or drive letter
        This beats the "full control" NTFS on the folders

B will not work as it doesnt affect the subfolders
        C will not allow deletes
        D still allows permission changes

Although the preferred "real world" way would be to give modify NTFS permission at the departmental folder level
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Cheers, Mate. I understand that A is the only plausible answer in a narrow sense. I was afraid I was missing a fundamental concept, but it doesn't sound like it.

Comment

A is the correct answer because it's the only one in the canned set of responses that would work.
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

That question sucks because the correct answer goes against common/best practices we are all familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
                That question sucks because the correct answer goes against common/best practices we are all familiar with.
                I agree, and when I first read through the answers I thought to myself, "None of these are 100% correct". So I read the question again and considered the scope of the question.

It's asking for what would work, not what is best or correct.

It's a tricky question if you're thinking about it from the perspective of best practices.
                Last edited by ahinson; 10th February 2010, 19:25.
                Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X