Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 - Clipboad using all VM, Page File Full, rdpclip.exe

Hi All,

Recently on our servers (several of them) when admins have been leaving sessions open our servers and they have used the clipboard the server comes to a halt and is very unresponsive

If I look in task manager and add the coloumn for VM Size the RDPClip.exe process is using more than 2GB of memory (all thats available).

If I look at the page file usage in performance its maxed out, as soon as is end the RDPclip.exe in processes, the page file usage become normal and obviusly the server restores itself.

Further more there is no alerts in the event logs at all.

However we are not always around to end this process and would not like to disable the clipboard via GP as we would like to be able to use it!

Please help!

Kris

We are using RDP Client 6.1.7600

Re: Windows Server 2003 - Clipboad using all VM, Page File Full, rdpclip.exe

Stop them from using the Servers as workstations. That is what we have XP, Vista and Windows 7 for.

Change the Administrator password to keep these <insert expletive here> off the Servers.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Stop them from using the Servers as workstations. That is what we have XP, Vista and Windows 7 for.

Change the Administrator password to keep these <insert expletive here> off the Servers.
      Hi Biggles77,

Thanks for your interesting response however these <insert expletive here> = myself and fellow IT colleagues, This is an unconstructive response and does not resolve my enquiry.

Do you not copy and paste things such as addresses and text from your desktop to your servers? We are not using them as workstations but just find ourselves naturally copying and pasting text, addresses, event ID's etc from a server to a workstation and vice versa which remote desktop supports and still doest not explain why our servers are suffering this issue.

Any help from anyone would be most appreciated and disabling a feature that should work is not a real answer.

Comment

As its admins that are using the servers then you really need to start educating them about properly logging off sessions.

This will reslove your issue lol.

Else have a read at this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...77(WS.10).aspx

Comment

Originally posted by krismason View Post
          Hi Biggles77,

Thanks for your interesting response however these <insert expletive here> = myself and fellow IT colleagues, This is an unconstructive response and does not resolve my enquiry.

Do you not copy and paste things such as addresses and text from your desktop to your servers? We are not using them as workstations but just find ourselves naturally copying and pasting text, addresses, event ID's etc from a server to a workstation and vice versa which remote desktop supports and still doest not explain why our servers are suffering this issue.

Any help from anyone would be most appreciated and disabling a feature that should work is not a real answer.
          You, a supposed administrator, want advice on how to stop your fellow supposed administrators behaving like users. U N B E L I E V A B L E ! ! !
          Last edited by biggles77; 6th March 2010, 05:43.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Guys, guys,

Relax a bit...
            I also do copy from and through RDP sessions... (events, logging, etc)
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              You, a supposed administrator, want advice on how to stop your fellow supposed administrators behaving like users. U B E L I E V A B L E ! ! !
              Mature biggles77, Listen to the moderator before you get your knickers in a twist and relax.

I was asking for some real advice and support from peers and fellow IT administrators.

A. Learn how to spell Unbelievable yes there is an N in it and all capitals on a forum shows that you are hardly over the age of 12.

B. Can you please politley tell me why you cannot copy and paste something like a serial or an address from a desktop to a server? We dont always do this just occasionally we are trying to get to the root of why our servers are crashing and not really the copying and pasting functionallity.

Also thanks for the warm welcome to the forums

Comment

Actually, Biggles is an ADMINISTRATOR, one of the god-like creatures* who tells us mere moderators when to jump (we ask how high later)

As for comments on spelling, please consider the 4th word in your section B

I would agree with the comments about administrators -- they should have the experience and knowledge to log off remote sessions when they have finished, and to understand the implications of not doing so. If they cannot, or will not, do this, I would have enough doubts about their abilities to refuse to let them administer any network I run!

Now lets get this back to a professional debate and cease any personal attacks.

Have you considered a script to run on a schedule and disable / re-enable the rdpclip service?
                B. Can you please politley tell me why you cannot copy and paste something like a serial or an address from a desktop to a server? We dont always do this just occasionally we are trying to get to the root of why our servers are crashing and not really the copying and pasting functionallity.
                Can you clarify this -- is COPY/PASTE not working or is it working but causing the memory issue you describe in your original post?

*Note that I have never seen Biggles except in avatar, so this description (if applied to appearance) may be purely subjective.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is all I could find but it may not apply since you haven't mentioned what you were pasting your copying to. It does however relate to TS and RDP. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;840872

It may also help if Event Viewer errors were posted here that relate to this "issue".

A screen shot of Task Manager with RDPClip.exe (and the VM column) may also be of assistance.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

From earlier posts, it is pasting FROM desktop TO rdp window but the OP may care to confirm this (and other questions)
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X