Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover Data from Dynamic Disks on Win 2k3

Hi,

I am looking to recover data from dynamic disks that were using a RAID config. On the server, the OS was installed on 2 striped 73GB SCSI disks, and the data was stored on a software striped 2 x 160GB SATA disks.

The AD and general config of the OS screwed up and we cant get access to the OS on the server (ie. it wont boot). I removed the data disks (noting exactly which ports they were plugged into etc) and put them on a fresh machine using XP pro SP2.

The disks in question are showing up as dynamic/foreign under disk management. If I try to import these foreign disks, according to MS all data will be lost. I need the data off these disk as its a whole companies files! They have no viable backups available, and all info is stored on these disks.

Has anyone any advice please? I have to completely rebuild this server today, but am reluctant to format the SCSI disks until I can get the data. Thanks in advance.

Re: Recover Data from Dynamic Disks on Win 2k3

Are you sure it was stiped? With striped disks you don't have any parity and if one disk fail, you wil looses all data.
    Why didn't you made backups? because of costs?
    Why did you removed the disks? There are possible other ways to boot eg bootCD's, safe mode etc..

Try inserting de disks again in the same order and try booting it again. Maybe a bootCD or a safeboot might help.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
    X