No announcement yet.

Remove Exchange before replacing a DC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Exchange before replacing a DC?

Greetings all,
    I am replacing a 2003 DC with a 2008 R2, very slowly. Just as well, because the Del RAC failed last week on the new server (a "known" issue, evidently) - I digress.
    The current DC is running Exchange, which has not been used for some time. Do I need to completely remove Exchange before making the new server a DC? Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated.

Re: Remove Exchange before replacing a DC?

Defintely recommended that you do. Whilst Exchange being out of use means that you won't break it, it's worth decommissioning it properly and removing all remnants of Exchange from Actove Directory.

Note that whilst adding a new DC will have no effect on Exchange, if you are not using it I would decommission it anyway, especially if you also plan to decommission the DC. Also if you plan to reintroduce Exchange at a later date, or even for the eventuality that you might, it'll be much easier if there aren't remnants of a previous Exchange installation in AD.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I followed the MS procedure for removing Exchange but I am stuck at the Add/Remove programs stage. This requires the Exchange installer, which I don't have. The site is a school fully licensed to run it; by I cannot locate the CD.

I have removed Exchange attributes from all users; so I suppose it's on to the manual removal. Would you say this has a good success rate, or should I try and source a CD from another school in our district? Thanks for you help.

Comment

I did a migration to 2007 a few months back and all I did was follow the MS kb to tidy everything up and then un-installed Exchange using Add/Remove programs, didn't need the media that I recall.

Sourcing a CD from another school may be your only option if it is required though, as the evaluation copies of Exchange 2003 are no longer available for download.

EDIT: Technet suggests using Add/Remove programs too.
        Last edited by cruachan; 11th February 2010, 23:12.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X