No announcement yet.

tombstoned DC deletion or reinstate

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tombstoned DC deletion or reinstate

A secondary domain controller has tomstoned - server 2003 - and is not replicating.

I have tried dcpromo to remove it and it fails.

How can I remove it or reinstate it.

thanks for any help

Re: tombstoned DC deletion or reinstate

You can force removal using the forceremoval switch with dcpromo.

Personally i'd rather just disconnect it from the domain, do a metadata cleanup on your AD and format and re-install the OS.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
      "Allow Replication With Divergent and Corrupt Partner"=dword:00000001
      Run this on the DC and then run a Manual Replication through Active Directory Sites and Services.

Copy to a text file and save it as a .reg . Once you have reconnected to the tombstoned Server and Replicated, change the dword:00000001 to dword:00000000 and run it again on the DC because it is a security issue that would allow any tombstoned Server to connect to the DC.

Make sure you do a System State backup or a Registry backup BEFORE running the reg hack.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

Thanks for the tips - I decided to delete and clean up metata database - But

when creating new DC with a new server name and different IP after dcpromo I get

Naming information cannot be located because:

The target principle name is incorrect.

The new server is not shown in the PDC domain controller OU.

There are a number of errors in the evnet log - I think this may be the most relevant

Kerberos event ID 4 - password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket - is different than that on the target server.

How can I correct - all windows 2003 servers

Thanks for any help.