No announcement yet.

DC in different subnet

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC in different subnet

Hi ,

I have one AD domain with one DC ( & 3 file/print servers in our main office serving 60 users & it's using subnet.

Due to expansion we are setting up a remote office .I would like to setup DC( at our remote office location which will be on a different subnet this DC will be acting as DNS & DHCP SEREVER at remote site.

The two offices will be joined with a 100 MB dedicted line.

My questions are:--

a)should i setup a new member DC at our main office and then move to remote office and change the IP.If yes Does anyone know what problems this could potentially cause.

b)Or can i setup a new member DC from remote office and joing the exsisting domain.

Any write-up on the correct procedure to do this in order not to break replication etc between the two DCs?

I assume there could be some manual dns changes etc to be made..

Thanks for your help!

Re: DC in different subnet

Entirely up to you but I would suggest setting up the new DC on the parent office subnet and then moving it (bandwidth will be better)
    Once you have done so, change the IP settings and also (in ADSS) move it to the new site
    You will need a VPN between the two offices
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **