Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical - BDC Issue

Hello members,

This is my first time to posting any question on this interesting IT resolution forum.

I have only one question if any body answer me i will be thankful to you.

Basically, we are running windows based network in our organization and we have few windows 2003 enterprise servers and approx. 50 employees (win xp) under our organization. for these all employees we have one PDC server that all users authenticate through this server.

Now i am thinking to deploy their BDC server if suppose any issue on the PDC then all users authenticate from the BDC server.

Our PDC server IP is "192.168.1.1" and i wanted to create child/backup server to assign him "192.168.1.2" and in all employees DNS settings also define this IP. if 192.168.1.1 down then traffic authenticate through 192.168.1.2.

Kindly provide me any solution.

Regards,

Saeed

Re: Critical - BDC Issue

In a Server 2003 AD structure there is no such thing as a PD and BDC. All DC's are created equally, well apart from thos with FSMO roles.

Solution.

1. Install Server 2003 Enterpise.
    2. Configure with static IP.
    3. Install DNS.
    4. Run DCPROMO and promote to Domain controller.
    5. Set as a Global Catalog.
    6. Configure DHCP to assign the new DNS server via the scope options.

Thats should get you on your way.

Comment

Saeed,

Set up a 2003 server with DNS configured. Create a DC with DCPROMO switch(I hope u are familar with AD).
      Select the option -First domain cntlr.
      Make all of your PCs as the clients of your server.
      Say the Server name is Server A.
      Setup another 2003 server, while running the dcpromo , select the option as additional domain cntlr.. This creates u a additional domain cntlr(ie. backup to serverA) Before running Dcpromo to this server configure DNS as welll. You can make this server as seconday DNS.

Mighty

Comment

Hello MIGHTY,

Thanks for your reply.

I already did that but kindly tell me in PDC DNS settings can i define these settings YES OR NO and what about the BDC DNS settings?

PDC:
        ====
        Pref. DNS: 192.168.1.1
        Alter. DNS: 192.168.1.2

BDC:
        ====
        Pref. DNS: ?
        Alter. DNS: ?

I am using static IP's scheme.

Regards,

Saeed

Comment

Please READ wullieb1's post about there being no PDC or BDC (since Windows Server 2000 ) in a Domain. Edit your post and call then DC1 and DC2 or whatever, but NOT PDC and BDC.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi engineersaeed

I have prepared a step by step document for setting up a 2nd Domain Controller that is also a standby DNS for purpose of redundancy.

It has the TCP/IP settings of my test environment that you will have to modify according to your environment.

I am uploading the document as an attachment and shall be happy if it helps you.

Please READ wullieb1's & Biggles77ís posts carefully. It says that there is no concept of PDC and BDC in Win AD environment.

Also, look into the following link at Petri Knowledge base for similar information.

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_install_active_directory_replica_on_windows _2003.htm

Cheers,
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow id really didn't think the instructions i posted were really that hard to follow.

DNS settings should ALWAYS point to the local DNS server for resolution.

Comment

Saeed,

For DC

IPaddress:192.168.1.1
                Pref. DNS: 192.168.1.1
                Alter. DNS: 192.168.1.2

Additional DC:

IPaddress:192.168.1.2
                Pref. DNS: 192.168.1.2
                Alter. DNS: 192.168.1.1

As wullieb1 said DNS settings should ALWAYS point to the local DNS server for resolution.

Comment

Hi all,

I did that and I really thanks for your speedy replies.

Regards,

Saeed Khan

Comment

Hi saeed The attachment of pankajb worked for me. Only issue was my DHCP because it doesnt replicate like the AD and DNS. So If I may ask how do i create a back up DHCP in my DC2.I have Like around 7 DHCP Scopes In DC1.So if my DC1 crashes i dont want to put static ip on every PC. Should I create new scopes frome scratch in DC2? What is the best practice on DHCP config on a DC2? Thanks
                    Last edited by NonoRonuel; 25th February 2010, 03:20.
                    Ronuel
                    MCP
                    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Comment

Working...
                    X