Switching from 2003 Enterprise to Standard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from 2003 Enterprise to Standard

We are considering switching the os on one of our exchange 2003 servers from 2003 enterprise to 2003 standard. If I do a system state backup in ent., will it restore into standard ok?

Also, is a AD backup/restore required for exchange to work properly? Or can I just do an exchange backup, install standard fresh and restore exchange with the /disasterrecovery switch?

Re: Switching from 2003 Enterprise to Standard

First of all, id you have something that working, then why to "fix" it?!

Exchange and Active Directory working together to provide mail services. If you change somethings you will need to backup Exchange + Active Directory.

The method that you try to use should work but you may need to reconnect the mailboxes and create shutdown for few hours.
    Its also recommended to create lab test before you change the prodcution servers.

*Note: you may need to move public folders to another server before implement this changes.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

We have to change it because we are going to be changing SPLA licensing and cannot afford the per seat price for Enterprise.

I still have not found a good "how to" on the switch... there is plenty of "migration" documents on technet and other places, but none that involve what i'm trying to plan for.

My basic plan is this, please comment:
      1) Document domain/server settings
      2) Backup exchange with ntbackup (mail store, etc)
      3) Do system state backup with ntbackup
      4) Move all backups to alternative HD
      5) Delete current system partition
      6) Create new system partition, Install 2003 Standard
      7) Install old system roles (file server, AD, IIS, does system state restore do this for me?)
      8- Install Exchange 2003 (same version as old server)
      9) Using ntbackup, restore system state (This is where my worry comes in, is the backup going to restore ok to a different version of windows server?)
      10) Using ntbackup, restore exchange backup
      11) Install other software (IMF, antivirus, etc)

This server now should work and look the same as the "old" enterprise server right?
      Last edited by Thesam; 29th August 2005, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14
        The method that you try to use should work but you may need to reconnect the mailboxes and create shutdown for few hours.
        Its also recommended to create lab test before you change the prodcution servers.
        Yuval, I am quite sure that restoring System State of Enterprise edition to Standard edition is not a supported operation. You will be mixing files from different OS version - something that *might* work, but almost certainly will break things.

The right way to go, would be to use the standard migration scenario:
        - add a new "swing" server and DCPROMO it
        - install Exchange, migrate PFs and mailboxes
        - migrate the rest of the services
        - decomition the old DC (uninstall Exchange and DCPROMO the box down)
        - reinstall the server with W2K3 Standard and migrate the services back from the "swing" server to the original box

Quite a lot of work, but is much safer than trying to restore Ent. System State to Std.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks for the ideas Guyt, I agree that would be safer.

But I still have a few questions. Could the same result be accomplished by backing up the exchange db (only have 1) and just restoring it to a fresh w2k3 standard server? From what I have read, exchange 2k3 relies on the AD for operation, so wouldnt that need to be "swung" over as well? Or does the replication of exchange over to the swing server accomplish that?

Basically, I understand how to get all of my mailboxes restored onto the new standard server, but I do not see how my AD will be rebuilt with your plan.

Comment

As Guyt has said the easiest way is to install a new server and DCPROMO that to be an new DC in a existing forest.

When you DCPROMO the new server as a new DC in an existing forest you will effectively transfer a read/write copy of the AD database to the new DC. This will then give you all the attributes that exchange, etc, etc has configured into AD. That way when you install exchange on the new DC you won't need to run /forestprep or /domainprep as they are already done.

The only thing i can think of that you will need to do is to transfer the FSMO roles from the Enterprise server to the Standard Server. This should explain in a bit more detail

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324801

Comment

Awesome, I think I finally understand the process for the AD side of things...

As for exchange, is it really necessary to migrate it to the swing server? Can I just NTBACKUP the storage group and restore it on the final standard server?

Also where is a good guide on dcpromo?
              Last edited by Thesam; 7th September 2005, 20:28.

Comment

Working...
              X