Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Time Service

Hi,

I have a authoritative Windows 2003 time server setup for the company domain. The company also has 77 other sites. These sites are not setup as forests (due to security requirement). I want to use the time server that has been setup in the head office for all sites.

What is the best way to do this? It would be ideal if I could get the DC at each site to connect to the head office time server to sync and then push that to all the clients in its own domain. Otherwise, I need to setup up all clients to sync with the time server at head office (probably using GPO).

Thanks for your help in advance. Let me know if you need further details.

Re: Windows Time Service

So you're saying that each site has it's own AD domain? If so, the clients in each site will sync with the DC that holds the PDC emulator role in their domain by default. You can configure the DC that holds the PDC emulator role in each site to sync with the DC that holds the PDC emulator role in the main site.

Comment

Thanks joeqwerty. You are correct, all sites have a DC. What is the best way to configure the sites to pick up time from the main site? I have read this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042) and it has a section on setting up an external time source. Is that the best way?

Comment

The best way would be to do what I suggested in my original answer. You'll set up each DC\PDC Emulator in each site to sync with the DC\PDC Emulator in the main site as their external time source and you can set up the DC\PDC Emulator at the main site to sync with some other external time source (time.windows.com, pool.ntp.org, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by root View Post
          Hi,

I have a authoritative Windows 2003 time server setup for the company domain. The company also has 77 other sites. These sites are not setup as forests (due to security requirement). I want to use the time server that has been setup in the head office for all sites.

What is the best way to do this? It would be ideal if I could get the DC at each site to connect to the head office time server to sync and then push that to all the clients in its own domain. Otherwise, I need to setup up all clients to sync with the time server at head office (probably using GPO).

Thanks for your help in advance. Let me know if you need further details.
          Can you confirm and clarify if you have one single domain or one single forest and how are they linked with the main site?

If you are on a single forest then you only need to configure the PDC emulator in the forest root domain to either an external timesource or otherwise. The rest of the systems in forest should sync their time with their corresponding DC/PDC emulator in their domain and so on automatically using the Windows Time Service.

If however the remote sites are not in the same forest, the best way would be to configure the PDC emulator in each Forest root domain te get the time from the same external source as the One in the Main office.
          You won't be able to configure remote machines (PDC emuls) from remote sites to get the time from your main site PDC emul unless it is configured and published as a Time server (Which is not common at all)
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

No, they are not in a forest. Each site is a single domain. They are all connected to a MPLS network. The main site time server is using the internal hardware clock which is why I want to point the remote sites to the main site time server. Is it possible to put the main site server IP as the external time source on the remote servers?

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            Can you confirm and clarify if you have one single domain or one single forest and how are they linked with the main site?

If you are on a single forest then you only need to configure the PDC emulator in the forest root domain to either an external timesource or otherwise. The rest of the systems in forest should sync their time with their corresponding DC/PDC emulator in their domain and so on automatically using the Windows Time Service.

If however the remote sites are not in the same forest, the best way would be to configure the PDC emulator in each Forest root domain te get the time from the same external source as the One in the Main office.
            You won't be able to configure remote machines (PDC emuls) from remote sites to get the time from your main site PDC emul unless it is configured and published as a Time server (Which is not common at all)

Comment

THanks for your help guys. I have got it working.

Just in case anyone is wondering - I changed the registry key in the remote sites to point to a site called time.<company_name>.co.uk (points to the main site time server).

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I find interesting though the fact that you already had a Time server setup in the main site. I can't say I have seen this very often.
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                X