X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join a PC of different IP to a domain of different IP range

Hi all

I have recently joined this forum.

I am running a office domain (LAN) with network address 192.168.1.0/24. there are few pcs connected to one another via workgroup with ip scheme 10.10.0.0/24. For some reason i can't change their ip addresses but i also want to join them to my domain while keeping their ip addresses same.

Both the domain computers and workgroup computers are on separate switches. I have a cisco 2811 router with 2 Fast ethernet ports.

Regarding router i have tested on Packet tracer and a pc from 10.10.0.0/24 can ping any pc of 192.168.1.0/24.

Can i join these work group pcs to my domain with changing their ip addresses and how. Is it a simple join method or i have to do some additional tasks, like in DNS etc.

I am not using DHCP

Regards

Re: Join a PC of different IP to a domain of different IP range

Hello,

DHCP is irrelevant don't worry about it.

As long as the clients can ping the domain controller you're ok, they don't need to be in the same subnet to join the domain.

From your client computers, configure their DNS to point to the domain controller (that's where DNS is installed, right?) make sure "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" is checked. Next, from the client computers run this command:

IPCONFIG /registerdns

Make sure the client accounts were added to the DNS forward zone on the domain controller, once done, join to domain.
    Last edited by toastman; 29th January 2010, 19:44.

Comment

toastman is correct.
      Provided you have connectivity between the two subnets (you said you can ping)

then the client devices on the 10.x subnet can join the domain. AD (at least at the level you're using it) doesn't care about subnets and ip addresses - it only cares about DNS, so make sure the clients in the second subnet can ping the fully qualified domain name of your domain controller

(ie MyDC001.mycompany.com)

you should then be able to use the computer properties to join the domain..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks a lot for ur advice. I will check it on monday at office

regards

Comment

Working...
        X