Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help in disabling Broadcom and Intel NIC features for Exchange Server 2007 SP1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in disabling Broadcom and Intel NIC features for Exchange Server 2007 SP1

Hi All,

Recently when I restart my Exchange Server 2007 SP1 / Domain Controller, somehow the TCP service cannot go into the server (email flow doesn't work), but from the server Interactive logon, i can do ping, nslookup and even browse the internet (under cold server room temperature )

from my desktop i cannot ping to the server.

However I come across to this article: can anyone help me in this case please ?
    But I'm confused for which one to disable on both type Intel and Broadcom ?

The reason why I'd like to disable it:
    is that every system restart i have to make sure that i can ping into the server from my desktop, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so I have to be very patient in waiting and restart my Exchange Server manually (if i can logon but cannot ping) or evenhard reset when it stuck in the "Applying Computer Settings..." progress.
    Attached Files

Re: Need help in disabling Broadcom and Intel NIC features for Exchange Server 2007 S

Hi

I experienced similar issues with Broadcomm NICs on Dell Server hardware. Exchange would constantly crash, and the dumps pointed to the Broadcom drivers.

I booted the server into BIOS mode, disabled the Broadcomm NICs and installed a INTEL NIC, and my Exchange server has been stable ever since.

The BIOS is where you can disable the Broadcomm NIC.

SamuelC

Comment

Re: Need help in disabling Broadcom and Intel NIC features for Exchange Server 2007 S

Originally posted by SamuelC View Post
      Hi

I experienced similar issues with Broadcomm NICs on Dell Server hardware. Exchange would constantly crash, and the dumps pointed to the Broadcom drivers.

I booted the server into BIOS mode, disabled the Broadcomm NICs and installed a INTEL NIC, and my Exchange server has been stable ever since.

The BIOS is where you can disable the Broadcomm NIC.

SamuelC
      Yes you're right Sam, but somehow today I managed to use the Intel Pro 1000 instead and it stay the same (server still un ping-able?), perhaps i should disable it totally from BIOS like you said ?

Comment

The issue is actually not the Broadcom NIC itself, but the Scalable Networking Pack, which breaks pretty much everything after a while. There's an MS KB and Patch about turning it all off.

I'v had horrendous issues with this in the past, RPC Server Unavailable errors seem to be the most common.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          The issue is actually not the Broadcom NIC itself, but the Scalable Networking Pack, which breaks pretty much everything after a while. There's an MS KB and Patch about turning it all off.

I'v had horrendous issues with this in the past, RPC Server Unavailable errors seem to be the most common.
          Thanks for pointing to the patch cruachan, however can i do it manually (by showing which one to disable) first and then if still failed i just can do the patch afterward ?

Comment

You can, but I've heard (not been affected by this!) that if you subsequently updat the NIC driver all of the settings will re-enable. Using that patch effectively turns off all the Reg keys, or you can also do it using the netsh command.
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You can, but I've heard (not been affected by this!) that if you subsequently updat the NIC driver all of the settings will re-enable. Using that patch effectively turns off all the Reg keys, or you can also do it using the netsh command.
              Yes Cruachan, I'm following the "Method 1: Manually disable Receive Side Scaling and TCP Offload in the network adapter driver" and I'm stuck in between steps 4 and 5.

Comment

That's why I've never done it in the driver but used the patch and/or the registry. The Broadcom drivers have always been excessively complex and it's not easy to match up what's in the driver settings to what's in the MS KB. I find it easier just to turn the lot off.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

That's why I've never done it in the driver but used the patch and/or the registry. The Broadcom drivers have always been excessively complex and it's not easy to match up what's in the driver settings to what's in the MS KB. I find it easier just to turn the lot off.
                  Once again, thanks for your response that does make sense cruachan.

Sorry I forgot to include it.

FYI: this server got extra NIC Intel Pro 1000 MT with TOE feature.

at the moment I only use one NIC port as this is just plain email server.

No firewall or AV configured in this host.

Windows IP Configuration
                  Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ExchangeServer
                  Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : domain.com
                  Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
                  IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                  WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                  DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
                  Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter
                  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-17-AE-C1-76
                  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                  IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.2.2.4
                  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
                  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.2.2.1
                  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.2.2.34

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
                  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter #2
                  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-17-AE-C1-77
                  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                  Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.60.238
                  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
                  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Gigabit LAN Port #2:
                  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2
                  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-4F-33-A7-C6
                  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                  Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.87.200
                  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
                  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Comment

Working...
                  X