Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion on robust backup/restore for Win Server 2003 and 2008!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion on robust backup/restore for Win Server 2003 and 2008!

Hello,

We have a small network with 8 servers running Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 standard editions. Our main server is running on Server 2008 and has ADS and DNS services running. Rest all servers are running, MS Exchange, ISA and SAP ERP software.

We are looking for a robust backup solution that will allow us to keep a backup (daily, weekly and monthly) of all servers and allow us to restore any file or if required entire OS on corresponding system.

We would appreciate if you could give us suggestions that will help us with such automated backup solution.

Thanks and Regards,
    -V

Re: Suggestion on robust backup/restore for Win Server 2003 and 2008!

Probably a commercial product such as BackupExec or Arcserve
    Both (IIRC) offer "bare metal" recovery options
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Backup Exec would be my choice but NTBackup would probably do as well.

Comment

Until you get to the bit that mentions Server 2008
        <Rant>
        Why on earth did MS abandon a perfectly good, free backup solution when they went to Vista / 2K8?
        </Rant>
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

another vote for backup exec with the IDR option...
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Symantec BackupExec and it does have all the features that we are looking for

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried NAS (like Synology DS409+) as a backup solution? Can NAS be really reliable as a complete backup solution?

Comment

g_srinivas,

I am sure most of the backup software are very reliable however I found Symantec Exec working extremely well. I am using Symantec's Backup Exec for last 2 years and backing a few files & DB servers.

Setup is not all complicated as it will test your Servers and environment before installation and the wizard will guide you. Once it is setup you rarely have to play around other than when you make amendments.

If your budget permits then go for Symantec's Backup Exec as it is one of the top-of-the-line product having heaps of user-friendly features.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
              X