Toshiba Satellite Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshiba Satellite Laptop

Hello, I've been here once before and your results were awesome!! Now, I'm encountering problems once again. My Laptop continues to freeze up on me. I have Windows XP, I am able to log on, get the desktop to come up and that's as far as it gets. I can't even get it to play a DVD!! It's driving me crazy, not to mention a very expensive piece of equipment just sitting collecting dust. Please Advise on what I should do.

Thanx a Million Stix of Twix

Hi Liz,
    Its a bit difficult without more information on your laptop, but some general advice:

Do you have a virus checker installed -- is it up to date?
    Try scanning for viruses and make sure the system is "clean"

Are there any programs you can get into, or is everything blocked?

Are you logged on as administrator or as an "ordinary user" -- if so, try as admin and see how you get on.

What model is the laptop, what software do you have installed (apart from XP)

Hope this gets you started
    All the best
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Toshiba LapTop

Hello Tom:

Thank you for responding to my E-Mail. I hope the following helps I do not have a Virus Checker. The Laptop gets as far as the desktop and then freezes. I cannot get into anything. I log in as Admin. There is a story behind this system. I received help from your site before so that I could gain access to the Laptop, I had no Password. Your instructions working wonderfully. I had no problems whatsoever. The Laptop has alot alot of files, folders, and programs which have been installed that I don't even know what they are for. This is a sophisticated Laptop, but it runs slow as hell!! I think it's because of all the B.S. in it. If there is a way to re-install Windows XP and clean this baby up so that it could be as if it were new, I'd like to do that. There are some programs which I would like to keep on there for example Quicken and others. Can that be done.

Thanx alot Tom

Comment

Toshiba Laptop

Dear Tom

Sorry I forgot to tell you the model of the Toshiba Satellite Laptop. It is a 5205-S705 Pentium IIII
        Thanx

Comment

Don't take my advice, but here's my 2 cents:

If the person who you recieved the laptop from gave you all of the disks, including the Quicken disk and any other programs that you want to keep, I'd format the sucker and reinstall.

If this seems like an option because there's nothing you want, or you are sure you can reinstall anything you want, reply and someone will probably write a bare bones Format/Reinstall XP how-to.
          "One thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse."
          -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Comment

I second CaptainCrunch -- if you have the recovery disks, format and reinstall. The only problem would be any of your data still on it.

What CDs do you have with it?

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Toshiba Satellite

Dear Tom and Captain Crunch:

I do not have any re-installation disks I guess Quicken isn't that important. I'd rather my Laptop function properly and definately faster, I hope.

Liz

Comment

Hi Liz,
                TOshiba would probably sell you a new set of CDs if you ask them nicely. You may need to provide proof of purchase but they should have encountered your situation before and be suitably sympathetic (for the right number of $$$ :P )

Good luck
                Tom
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X