No announcement yet.

Event id 4201

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event id 4201

Hi all,

I have a Windows Server 2003 box that is having network issues. Just about once per hour the following shows up in the system event log:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Tcpip
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4201
    Date: 1/19/2010
    Time: 1:51:58 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SERVERNAME
    The system detected that network adapter Realtek RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter #3 was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
    0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

There are always multiples logged, and after the first event is logged that network connection is effectivley down. The only thing that brings it back is disabling/enabling the adapter.

I have checked for Windows updates, and driver updates for the NIC, as well as swapping the NIC and even trying another slot.

The server is an HP DL580 G2
    Intel Xeon 1.6GHz CPU
    4GB RAM.

This is driving me and my company's development team crazy.

TIA for any suggestions.

Re: Event id 4201

Try swapping the network cable and\or moving it to another switch port.

Also, try to check the duplex settings both in the NIC team (If you have multiple cards in NIC teaming) and in the switch port end. Often a duplex mismatch / faulty cable does this activity.

Try to check if all the NICs are running the same version of driver in the server.

Have tried swapping cables, switch ports. No NIC teaming, but I have played with the duplex settings to no avail.

Are the driver version for all the NICs are same ? Have you tried upgrading the nic driver?

Driver upgraded, and there's only one realtek NIC in the system. I suspect the #3 next to the name is caused by movning the NIC around to different slots, ans switching out with another realtex, (same model).

If I can recollect correctly, HP systems do have NIC checking utility programs that can check the NIC both from software and hardware perspective. I can't recollect the name of the program but i think it's inbuild and you can get it in programs menu...check that out if possible.

Also, can you check with your network guys if there are any CRC errors accumulated in the switch port where it's connected to?

If yes, then first try to change the cable i.e either from patch panel to NIC or from Patch panel to Switch port. If this does not solve the issue then the port itself has some issue. To determine that try to reset the switch port for this NIC and send some large data packets continuously with to the other server and diagnose the situation.