VPN Ping Loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN Ping Loss

Hi Guys. happy new year. I have a question about VPN connection.First of all I have to tell you that I am just familiar with Microsoft system, not CISCO system.

My scenario is: I have win server 2003 with 3 XP clients at my house with these services: DC-DNS-RRAS- All xp client joined to Domain.

My DHCP Server is ADSL modem with 192.168.0.1 Address.

My Network IP Plan is:

server:192.168.0.2/24 (Static) gateway:192.168.0.1 DNS:192.168.0.2

XP Clients are: IP:192.168.0.3/24 up to IP:192.168.0.5/24 Default gateway: 192.168.0.1 DNS:192.168.0.2

My VPN Remote Client is my nephew from his home. He has 3 xp client that joined to the same workgroup and get ip addresses from ADSL Modem DHCP server. his client IP address subnet is the same as Mine.

this means:

ADSL modem IP: 192.168.0.1

XP clients Get the IP from ADSL DHCP Server from: 192.168.0.2/24 up to 192.168.0.4/24 default gateway; 192.168.0.1 DNS:192.168.0.1

My Problem is: He can connect to my VPN Server Without problem but there is no ping to each other???? But when he changes his network IP plan from: 192.168.0.x/24 to 192.168.1.X/24 we can ping to each other and do anythings that we want. My problem is Same Private IP Address Ranges: When We are both on: 192.168.0.X/24 VPN connection Established but there is no ping Both way. When We change I way from 192.168.0.x/24 to 192.168.1.x actually we can ping each other. Is there any way to we don't change our network ID and have ping together???? If you need more detail about my network config to resolve that problem, please tell me.
    Regards
    Last edited by wullieb1; 14th January 2010, 04:46.

Re: VPN Ping Loss

Edited your post tom try and make it a little more flowing.

To answer your question you can't ping nor access his machine when he ahs the same range as youo as your machine thinks it is on the same subnet and will not then send requests to the router asking how to get to hime.

When you change the subnet it works as you are not on the same segment hence requests are sent to the router.

To make it so that you can work and connect to each other ensure that your NOT in the same LAN segment as the other side of your VPN.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Edited your post tom try and make it a little more flowing.

To answer your question you can't ping nor access his machine when he ahs the same range as youo as your machine thinks it is on the same subnet and will not then send requests to the router asking how to get to hime.

When you change the subnet it works as you are not on the same segment hence requests are sent to the router.

To make it so that you can work and connect to each other ensure that your NOT in the same LAN segment as the other side of your VPN.

thanks for your answer. but Imagine my scenario happened between two or many enterprise Locations that they are on the same segment accidentally. so what do they do to resolve this issue? do they still have to change their IP plans? But this is Disaster. because they have to change every setting and services such as DHCP-and etc. what do you think about it?

Comment

There are other more harder ways to accomplish this. However I doubt if you can do it with MS.
        Search for NAT inside VPN connections or something like that
        I know for sure Cisco and Juniper can do this...
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by mkmmkm View Post
          thanks for your answer. but Imagine my scenario happened between two or many enterprise Locations that they are on the same segment accidentally. so what do they do to resolve this issue? do they still have to change their IP plans? But this is Disaster. because they have to change every setting and services such as DHCP-and etc. what do you think about it?
          If it were my enterprise network i'd design it properly and not get these issues.

Comment

Working...
          X