Windows Server 2003 FTP question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 FTP question

Hi am new to this forum thing, never been into one.
    But i guess i can give it a try.

Anyways, I have a win server 2003 Enterprise and i have been using it as home server for a few months i really have not been able to mess aound with it. I have alot of questions about it and dont know were to go look for the answers. My Questions is, how can i secure my FTP, so i can transfer files across the internet safely. I currently transfer files to family members in central america and some to canada, and also use it for side jobs.

Also would it be better for me to use a third party ftp software, and can someone recomend me one... please.

Re: Windows Server 2003 FTP question

When you say that you want to transfer files safely, are you concerned about the files themselves being intercepted or stolen? Or, are you concerned about the FTP server getting hacked?

If the former, look into using SFTP or even an SSH server and then your family can attach to the server via SSH and transfer files that way (not exactly as user friendly as FTP, but possibly close).

If the latter, I'd recommend keeping your server patched, not exposing unnecessary ports to the internet and keeping watch on the event logs of the server for strange access patterns. You might also be able to set up a firewall rule that blocks IP addresses based on access patterns of your choosing (such as if multiple unsuccessful FTP access attempts come from the same IP address).
    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 13th January 2010, 00:45. Reason: fixed spelling
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Am concerned about the files being intercepted or stolen and hacked..!! which already happen to me once.

Thanks for the tips....

I thought i had cover everything on my check list. By any chance do you know of any sftp or ssh software that you would recomend..??

Comment

I can't recommend any SFTP or SSH software for a Windows server since I haven't had direct experience with one. However, a simple Google search should reveal plenty.

Core makes a Freeware SFTP server. Some proprietary, for-pay options include DataExpress's Open Platform and ProAtria's SFTP Plus.

EDIT: There's also freesshd which is an open-source FTP/SFTP/SSH server for Windows.
        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 13th January 2010, 00:48.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thank..!!

It was really helpful... i found a lot of different one that look good for what i need.

Comment

Working...
          X