Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot logon to domain

Hi all,

I've just installed a Win2K3 Standard and have a network of 18 machines running XP Pro. It was set up as peer-2-peer, but as a result of Win2K3 I am setting up a domain and using AD.

I had 2 admin accounts set up on the Win2K3 server before running DCPROMO.

I've setup DNS + DHCP server. However after installing AD and creating further 2 Enterprise Admin accounts I cannot log on to the domain with these 2 newly created accounts. Error message: "The system cannot logon because the domain is not available". But I can log on with the 2 admin accounts created when the server was installed (before AD).

What have I missed out??? ANy thoughts???

Cheers all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Cannot logon to domain

hi
    if you try to log on as user
    administrator
    it is ok ??

this can hepend becuase you have dns problames
    or you have secondary dc ?

if you able to logon do your domain by using administrator
    see if you have event id and send to us
    Thanks
    Noam Greenberg
    If you want yo can conntact me at

Comment

Noam,

Txs for your reply. I'll be off work until this friday, but will post Event Viewer log by the weekend so we can try to troubleshoot this problem.

Cheers!!!!

Comment

Have you assigned a password to the Enterprise Admin accounts that meets the password complexity policy in 2003 Server?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles77,

Yes the passw set for the Enterprise Admin account is stronger than the one of the Domain admin account, it has LETTER+Number+Sign.

Checking event viewer, I've come across error 1054 under application... Browsing the net it says it's a DNS problem... However when I log on to the domain with the Domain Admin account (created before DCPROMO), the DNS points to the server 192.168.1.X. I successfully nslookup and ipconfig /all. I can ping server, network printer, websites....

The only difference I've spotted from the account that is working to the one that isn't is: When I navigate the ACCOUNT TAB the account that is working HAS the fields User Logon Name BLANK and the Pre-Windows 2000 logon name \DomainName Admin ;;;;;; whereas the one that isn't working HAS the fields User Logon Name XXXXXX @DomainName and the Pre-Windows 2000 logon name \DomainName XXXXXX ...PS: My test machine is running WIN XP PRO

Still struggling to spot the problem....Any comments + thoughts are very much appreciated....

Cheers all

Comment

Hi,

It seems that I've managed to fix the problem...

I went to dns.msc and on my domain controller I setup Replication to: All dns servers in Active directory... Bearing in mind that there's only one DC in my network....

Now it seems that I can add users and logon on to the domain....

Hope that is useful to anyone having this sort of problems.

Cheers.....

Comment

Working...
            X