X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 quick and bizarre 2003 server questions

Greetings,

Question 1:

When I RDP to a certain 2003 server, under DNS, I cannot view the Reverse Lookup Zone. When I click on it, it brings up 'Add New Zone' information window as if though one does not exist. But, when I log into the server directly, I can view the Reverse Lookup Zone just fine.

Why would that be?

Question 2:

I want to know if this is possible: (the 'end goal' is to do some marginal security by only allowing certain MAC addresses to receive DHCP leases)

I have a Windows 2003 Server, I have multiple DHCP scopes for various subnets and vlans I have. But I want to be able to copy all of the DHCP MAC address reservations from one scope to another scope on the fly.

In other words, when I add a DHCP reservation, I dont want to have to do it in multiple scopes, instead, I would like to make the changes to one scopes reservations, and then run a script that will mirror all of the data from one scope to another scope.

Is this possible? Can you point me in the direction of what I would need to use to do this? (would I need to use powershell or can I do this though a simple batchfile, or would I need some other cli utility?) i found something called the "DHCP Reservation tool" which is a massive script but im wary of running it on a production server. has anyone tried this tool? it is located here: http://blogs.technet.com/teamdhcp/ar...19/457383.aspx

Question 3:

If this is possible, it would eliminate my need for the question above:

We eventually want to have the security set up as such: if someone plugs in their laptop to a port, and we have not already added their MAC a specific reservation, we want that persons internet requests to be redirected to a web based portal (the web server we would maintain locally) where they are prompted to supply credentials.

once they supply credentials (preferably the credentials that would be in our Active Directory), we want their MAC address to be set up as a reservation in DHCP.

i realize this sounds kind of involved, and it might require more than 1 software solution to do (i was anticipating needing some sort of linux box running Apache which would also have some sort of open source LDAP software that could connect to and make changes to our Active Directory. the box would would reside 'in between' the clients and the core router, and once the clients were authenticated, it would pass packets from the clients to the core router. --- but, when i think about this, it sounds to me like there, by now in earths history, should be some sort of easier way of doing all of this than to have some sort of in between proxy.)

again, any ideas would be very appreciated

Re: 3 quick and bizarre 2003 server questions

Not sure about #1 but for #2 and #3 the closest that may help you is the DHCP server callout dll. For more: http://www.petri.com/filter-mac-addr...allout-dll.htm
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

L4ndy,

That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you

and by the way, your sig wasn't a waste of time

you should read this sometime, i bet youd like it

http://catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

and if you wanna read something that is far more involved but also far more interesting, check this out

http://www.temcat.com/Sunday-Law-Now/DRall.pdf

if you make it through the 2nd chapter you wont want to stop reading it. the 2nd chapter is heavily expanded upon also by the 7th and 8th.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by floppyraid
        Question 1:

When I RDP to a certain 2003 server, under DNS, I cannot view the Reverse Lookup Zone. When I click on it, it brings up 'Add New Zone' information window as if though one does not exist. But, when I log into the server directly, I can view the Reverse Lookup Zone just fine.
        Try a Console RDP connection.

mstsc /v:ip address / console - if using XP
        mstsc /v:ip address / admin - if using Vista or Windows 7

This will give you a connection as if you were physically sitting in front of the Server. Using a standard RDP (mstsc) connection will open up a Terminal windows which gives a different screen.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X