Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine windows 2003 server hangs

Hi All,
    Wishing you first a very Happy New Year ....

I have Dell Power edge Server with windows 2003 Server Installed, this machine also a Domain Controller with exchange 2003 Installed.

everything is working fine but the main problem I am facing is after few days 2-3 mine complete machine hangs. then we need to reboot it manually. due to this behavior, we already lost exchange data of one day. and when i check there is no error in event manager. I also contact dell support they checked the thing and said that everything is ok ...

Is there is any way so that I can check what is causing the problem?

Thanks in advance..

Thanks a lot ..

Aman Dhally

Re: Mine windows 2003 server hangs

I would start by running memory diagnostics during an outage window.

Follow that - if you were in a position to do so, I would try converting the host to a virtual server, separating it from the production segment, and seeing if the problem re-occurs. This step woud rule out a hardware failure.

Have you turned on memory dumps via system properties,and ensured the page file is on the C: Drive ? A memory dump may assist you.
    Does it blue screen, or just lock up completely ?
    What other applications do you have installed?
    Does it happen at any given time, or is it random intermittent times?

As a workaround, have you tried setting the server to reboot each night, just to see if it alleviates ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Also, you can try Process explorer from sysinternals to see what services are doing what. A packet sniffer (Wireshark, Network Monitor) as well to see what sort of traffic is going to and from the server.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Got any other Servers running on the Domain?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi, All..

This is a single server on mine site, there is no other server installed.

The exchange server is also a domain controller. It has few software installed Like Gfi Mail esentials, Acronis, etc.
          When server hangs its just completely hang and we need to hard reboot it from it's Power switch..

Mine server hangs randomly, no poper time or span of days.

Memory Dump is enables but there is only option of (small dump and Kernel Dump) no option for complete memory dump ....And the page files is on c drive (OS Installed on C drive).and there is no Blue Screen, It lock up completely

Yes i used Process Explorer but I dont know what to monitor..

Thanks a lot
          Aman

Comment

Take the server offline and scan the memory using something like memtest.

Use the Dell Diagnostics on the server and determine if there are any problems.

Update device drivers and device firmware to the latest levels from Dell.

What type of PowerEdge is it??

Comment

Hi,
              Yes i did that I have updated mine device drivers.
              and I I am usiing Dell Power Edge 2900

Which diagnostic software do you recommended to test Memory..

Thanks

Aman

Comment

memtest....

Comment

Originally posted by amandhally View Post
                  Hi,
                  Yes i did that I have updated mine device drivers.
                  and I I am usiing Dell Power Edge 2900

Which diagnostic software do you recommended to test Memory..

Thanks

Aman
                  have u done firmware as well ?
                  if it's a 2900, it's not _That_ old - your support contract may still be current.. speak with Dell, they'll get u to run the dset tool..
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    have u done firmware as well ?
                    if it's a 2900, it's not _That_ old - your support contract may still be current.. speak with Dell, they'll get u to run the dset tool..
                    Yeah and the first thing they usually tell you to do is update the firmware and the BIOS lol.

Comment

HI All,
                      • I will do the memory test on Saturday because it need server to be shutDown.
                      • Yesterday and also today mine server hangs again in the morning 7:11AM
                      • And Mine Application Log in event Viewer seems corrupted or may B it is the Event Viewer error on the server in every event related to domain or exchange it says
                        The description for Event ID ( 26 ) in Source ( CertSvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: mail.XYZ.net, DC=, MAIL.
                      • And in FILE REPLICATION SERVICE LOG in Event Viewer I have
                      • [Event Type: Error
                        Event Source: NtFrs
                        Event Category: None
                        Event ID: 13568
                        Date: 1/12/2010
                        Time: 7:11:55 AM
                        User: N/A
                        Computer: MAIL
                        Description:
                        The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

Replica set name is : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"
                        Replica root path is : "c:\windows\sysvol\domain"
                        Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:"
                        A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because of one of the following reasons.

[1] Volume "\\.\C:" has been formatted.
                        [2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been deleted.
                        [3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been truncated. Chkdsk can truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal.
                        [4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long time.
                        [5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO activity on "\\.\C:".
                        Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover from this error state.
                        [1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5 minutes, then run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File Replication Service.
                        [2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set.

WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be unavailable. You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly unavailable if this error condition occurs again.

To change this registry parameter, run regedit.

Click on Start, Run and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
                        Click down the key path:
                        "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameter s"
                        Double click on the value name
                        "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
                        and update the value.

If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly as shown above.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.].

• Thanks a lot for your Support ..

Aman Singh

Comment

Could be a faulty hard drive ready to fall over.

After you've ran memtest i'd download you drive manufacturers disks and test your drives as well.

Comment

Hi, All
                          today I test my Server Memory with a dell utility [MP Memory v1064] and it show no error in Memory. [I tried memtest it takes too much time so that's why I didnt tried it again.]

I also run diagnostic check on Hardware with Dell Utilities but still no error.

I thought May b hanging occur bcos of File Replication Service Error which i posted below, I fix that issue by following this link http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=7122

But today Mine server still hangs

Now i am updating mine windows by running MicroSoft Updates. and It is installing updates for windows 2003 and for Exchange 2K3.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X