Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic Questions Windows 2003 Server ... adding Users, Groups & Group Policy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Questions Windows 2003 Server ... adding Users, Groups & Group Policy?

Hello all im new to Windows 2003 and I have some basic questions on Windows 2003...

Im going to start off by saying that im just trying to help my parents out with a small business and im fluent in building computers, networking, XP, and i have basic concepts down with registry, Group Policy, users

Setup:
    1) Windows 2003 SP2 Server acting as the DNS Server, Domain Controller with Active Directory
    2) 20 Windows XP SP3 Computers

Currently I joined the XP clients to the Domain using "Administrator" and "password" and i never gave anyone a unique username or password they simply log onto their XP clients using "Administrator" and "password" i know this is poor practice so i want to change it

Goal:
    1) Everyone logs onto the Domain with thier XP Client using a unique username and password
    - Create Multiple Users
    - Create Group

2) Setting up a Group Policy for the employees that will limit their Internet browsing

I have an idea on how to do both i just have some very specific questions i want to ask before i do it

Question :
    1) Start --> Administrative Tools --> Active Directory Users and Computers --> Select my Domain
    I know how to add a USER but i don't know where to place the newly created USER
    - Should i place the USER in one of the many default folders that come with the domain such as Builtin, Computer, Domain Controller, ForeignSecurityPrincipals, Users
    or
    - Should i create a new Shared Folder or OU and put the USER inside of that?

2) Same question as #1 except when i make a GROUP where do i place it?

3) I would like to enable Content Advisor in the Group Policy
    Right Click my Domain --> Properties --> Group Policy

I read it was bad to edit the default so i guess i need to create a new one
    I know it reads Policy from the bottom up so i place the new Policy at the top

If i have not touched the Original Domain Policy is the default Domain Policy the same as a new one that i create?

User Configuration --> Windows Settings --> Internet Explorer Maintenance --> Security --> Security Zones and Content Ratings --> Import Settings

Re: Basic Questions Windows 2003 Server ... adding Users, Groups & Group Policy?

ok here are some basic hints.
    every admin has its own design policy but globaly you shouldnt put users in default folders. What you want to do is next: create organization units ( OU ) based on departments if you have any. if you dont create one OU named Company users for example. In that OU you can place users. Right click on that OU and New than User. There you can assign username and password.
    For groups, you can also make OU named Groups for example and place all your groups in it.
    You dont make shared folders in AD.
    Also you can to the same thing for your computer accounts.

as far as group policy... you are right... you shouldnt modify default domain policy nor default domain controllers policy. For any thing you want to set thru group policy you shoul create a new policy and name it by the change you made in it.
    And placing the policies. you dont want to put them on the top. you should place it according to users or groups it is ment for.

thats it for now and I hope I was able to help.
    cheers
    The chase is better than the catch

Comment

Re: Basic Questions Windows 2003 Server ... adding Users, Groups & Group Policy?

Thank you sooo much... youve been soo helpful..
      I really appreciate it!!
      Cheers

Comment

Glad I could help!
        The chase is better than the catch

Comment

Working...
        X