Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to restrict size of users home directory

Hi All,

In my AD environment I've mapped drives (home directories) for all users - how do I restrict size of home directories (like only to 1Gb)

I googled this but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance
    Merry xmas and a happy new year

Re: How to restrict size of users home directory

Do you have File Server Resource Manager installed? It is available from Server 2003 R2 and up.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also look into Disk Quotas (assuming your HDs are on a volume/partition of their own)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I’ve windows server 2003 enterprise edition with SP2. Ideally File Server Resource Manager should be there in Management and monitoring tools in add/remove windows components but for some reason it is not there. This is a member sever with file server feature already installed. I downloaded fsrmgmt.exe however it bombs out saying “the version of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install”. Not sure what to do next!!

Also for the disk quotas this will be implemented on the computer settings – if there is any setting via which home directories for users can be restrained to something like 1GB for each domain user .

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lvaibhavt View Post
          I’ve windows server 2003 enterprise edition with SP2...I downloaded fsrmgmt.exe however it bombs out saying “the version of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install”.
          Probably because you don't have the R2 version of Server 2003. On a related note... Server 2008 has some lovely file server management features. Feeling like an upgrade?

Originally posted by lvaibhavt View Post
          Also for the disk quotas this will be implemented on the computer settings – if there is any setting via which home directories for users can be restrained to something like 1GB for each domain user .
          To parrot Ossian, using disk quotas will restrict the amount of files that a user can have on a volume by file ownership infroamtion. Just set up disk quotas on the volume that you use for home folders and that should take care of it; R2 is not necessary for that. Just get ready for a landslide of complaints when people can no longer store their entire collection of "NOW That's What I Call Music Vols. I - DCCLXXIV" in 256K MP3s.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
            Just get ready for a landslide of complaints when people can no longer store their entire collection of "NOW That's What I Call Music Vols. I - DCCLXXIV" in 256K MP3s.
            Which should be ignored on the grounds of taste and decency if nothing else
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X