Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Firewall for Server 2003

Hi, folks

Can anyone recommend an alternative firewall for Windows Server 2003. I can't use the Windows Firewall/ICS because I have RADIUS/VPN setup.

Can anyone recommend an alternative? I've looked around the net but have not been able to find a commercial/free product that works on 2003.

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Alternative Firewall for Server 2003

What about ISA 2006?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, there is no way we can afford that at present.

Comment

What is your goal with the firewall? protecting from the outside world or the internal users?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

If dosh is a bit tight I used SmoothWALL as a perimter firewall once, its sits on an old piece of Hardware, runs on Linux and it was FREE the last time I used it. Its a while back though, so things may have changed.

Just Google smoothwall

The cost is your time in evaluating, installing, configuring and testing.....
          If you have the time - it'll be a great exercise for you.....

Another alternative would be ZoneAlarm possibly???

Having said that - Think about your Firewall carefully. There can little else more important to consider regarding your system. If there is an area that needs the dosh spent in my opinion this is it.......I recomend SonicWALL as a perimeter for SOHO enviroments.
          Last edited by fergie; 22nd December 2009, 14:45. Reason: 2nd thoughts........
          MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a look at ZoneAlarm, but it only listed XP and Vista.

@Dumber: I would like to install a basic firewall that provides protection from the outside. I would like a firewall installed for those times when I need to search for information when logged on via console.

Thanks.

Comment

But don't you have a central or corporate firwall?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

Comment

Yes, we do, we have a router that has a firewall installed, a Draytek 2600. We also use Sophos Endpoint Security and Control. This includes a firewall that is installed on the clients (but which is not compatible with W2k3). I would like to install a firewall on the W2k3 computers that will alert me to unknown outgoing/incoming connections.

Comment

Clark Connect is also a free option, easy to install, configure and use.
                  http://www.clarkconnect.com/downloads/ Also real good for spam filtering as well.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Clark Connect is also a free option, easy to install, configure and use.
                    Originally posted by fergie View Post
                    If dosh is a bit tight I used SmoothWALL as a perimter firewall.
                    Seems like there's a bit of confusion about. If I've understood you, Blood, the #8 post in this thread makes it clear that you're interested in an alternate software firewall on your Server 2003 machines and not a perimeter firewall. Smoothwall and Clarkconnect wouldn't help you in this scenario.

Have a look at the following which support Windows Server 2003:
                    Outpost Firewall Pro
                    Injoy Firewall
                    Kerio WinRoute Firewall
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                      Have a look at the following which support Windows Server 2003:
                      Outpost Firewall Pro
                      Injoy Firewall
                      Kerio WinRoute Firewall
                      That's wonderful. Thanks very much. I searched for windows 2003 firewall, alternative firewall for windows server 2003 and many of results were not relevant.

Once again, I'm very grateful for everyone's help!

Comment

Working...
                      X