what upgrade path should i take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what upgrade path should i take?

main main objective to make my exchange 2007 work.

my problem is exchange 2007 is not designed to work with windows 2003 32-bit OS

i have these options in mind.

1. upgrade my windows 2003 ent to windows 2008 foundation, then install exchange in it.
    2. upgrade my windows 2003 ent 32 bit to windows 2003 64 bit
    3. download the 32 bit version of exchange.

any other suggestions?

Re: what upgrade path should i take?

I'm pretty sure Server 2008 Foundation will be too limited -- 15 connections only
    Avoid 32bit exchange in an operational environment
    Remember Exchange 2010 is now out so that gives another path
    Another option, if you are < 75 users, is to look at SBS 2008 which gives you server (2 licenses IIRC) and Exchange at a very good price
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by kinalas View Post
      main main objective to make my exchange 2007 work.

my problem is exchange 2007 is not designed to work with windows 2003 32-bit OS

i have these options in mind.

1. upgrade my windows 2003 ent to windows 2008 foundation, then install exchange in it.
      2. upgrade my windows 2003 ent 32 bit to windows 2003 64 bit
      3. download the 32 bit version of exchange.

any other suggestions?
      1. This will still limit you to 32 bit Exchange 2007 as you can't upgrade from 32 bit Windows to 64 bit Windows.

2. See answer number 1. You can't upgrade from 32 bit Windows to 64 bit Windows.

3. 32 bit Exchange 2007 is not supported in a production environment.

Have a look here at the Exchange Server 2007 system requirements to help you map out the appropriate path:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx

Comment

ossian,

what do you mean by limited to 15 limited connection on windows 2008 foundation.
        i have only about 150 users.

i think the only option i have is to install in our hp proliant ml110 that comes with an windows 2008 foundation. presently, we cant afford to purchase a new software for now.

or can i just reinstall my old exchange 2003 on my windows 2003 32-bit.

any other options.

another question. can i use the windows 2003 32bit license if i reformat/install windows 2003 64 bit (same PC)

Comment

Working...
        X