Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first DC replacement

Hi,
    I may need to replace first DC 2003 - hardware issues (presently 2 DCs).
    I plan to install new member server, promote to DC. Transfer Fismo roles, demote first one. Domain functionning level is 2003.
    What I should know before I start?

Thx.
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: first DC replacement

You need to find out what all roles the Problem DC is currently serving to the domain, like DNS, DHCP, etc.
    Also you need to check if the AD replication is currently working properly, if not, then either force demotion, or fixing AD replication would be required.
    There is one thing you can do to find out if the domain would work properly after this DC is gone, Turn this DC off, and test your environment for few hrs. If there is anything in specific on this DC, you'll find out.

Than, you can go ahead and promote the new server as DC

Regards,
    Pledge Technologies.
    Best Regards,
    Pledge Technologies

Comment

1. the replication working fine. I did first DC shutdown and there is no name resolution (internal and external) issues.

2. we talking about first DC. Defenitely, it is DHCP and DNS server.

Questions:
      when first DC will go down clients will keep IP received from DHCP and will keep the connection to network.

What will be the appropriate way to bring back DHCP server?
      Ideally, I would like to keep IP of first DC on new DC.

Is it OK to change new DC IP after transferring FSMO roles and shutting down first DC?

Thx.
      Michael.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

when the dhcp server goes offline, clients who have a current lease, will maintain their lease for the lease period.
        A lease period is (commonly) 8 days. At 50% of the lease time (ue, 4 days) the client will try to renew.
        If that fails, it will try to renew again at 82% (or a figure close to that)
        If that fails, it will keep the ip address.
        After 8 days, it will give up the ip address.

the best way to move forward with the dhcp server is to export the current DHCP settings, and then install dhcp on the new server
        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/281626

you CAN change the ip address of the domain controller. Just make sure you run ipconfig /registerdns after it's done, and thoroughly check dns to ensure it's got all teh correct AD registrations.
        Also - all othe devices on the network will need to be rebooted after you change the address
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hello Michael,

Gud to hear that the replication is working fine. Now there is nothing to worry about in removing the First DC.

1. For DHCP: There are two option for DHCP, a) Build a new DHCP server on another server and configure the Scope. b) Take a backup and restore it on another server.
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325473

2. For DNS: If the DNS is AD Integrated, than it will automatically replicate to the other Domain Controller. If not, then create a secondary zone on another server and later you can make it as primary server.

3. If you want to keep the same IP for new DC, then firstly demote the existing DC, change its IP or shut it down (if you are not planning to bring it back). Than, assign the IP to the new server and promote it back as a DC.

4. FSMO roles can be transferred before demotion of the first DC, to the other existing DC. You can later transfer them to newly promoted DC, if you want.

5. And last, if the first DC goes down, then the clients will keep the IP. Will remain on the network till the time their DNS queries are being resolved. No new IP will be issued to the client till another DHCP server takes over the roles.

Please feel free to reply back if you have any other queries.

Regards,
          Pledge Technologies.
          Last edited by PledgeTechnologies; 14th December 2009, 20:22.
          Best Regards,
          Pledge Technologies

Comment

Just found an answer for my question about DHCP.
            I can install DHCP on second DC, exclude range of the first one and exclude range of the second on first. So it will be kind of redundunt DHCP.

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

Comment

I have one more question

As I mentrioned I plan to replace first DC due to the hardware issue.
                It is HP DL 360 G4 and internal health led is amber...
                I will be in this remote office Thursday.

Let say that the server will die before I will replace it.
                It's really may happen. So I want to be prepared.
                Never had this situation before but know the theory
                What will be this case scenario?
                I have daily system state backups. Do I need to do AD restore?

Thx.

Comment

if the server dies before you can get to it, or get the new server into place,
                  things will go "sort of" ok for a few days.. and hten once you get the new server deployed as a DC, you will need to "seize" the master roles this server holds.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Can I consider installing new DC and seize FSMO roles on ESX?
                    It is a small office environment.

Comment

Seizure of FSMO roles is an option when you cannot transfer them. If the DC which is currently holding the FSMO Roles is not available to transfer, then YES you can seize them to any other Available DC.

Also keep in mind that once Seized, you cannot bring back the other DC which currently holds the FSMO Roles.

Regards,
                      Pledge Technologies.
                      Best Regards,
                      Pledge Technologies

Comment

Working...
                      X