Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 cloning to new hardware.

Hey guys

Im in need of help, mr google and the forums searches havent really been helpful.

Heres my situation:
    I have a HP G3 server that is very very outdated. Its running active directory and is acting as a file server and a terminal server. its hardware is outdated and im wanting to move it all to a newer stronger machine.

My customer wants his whole software setup to be moved to newer hardware but there is a catch to this. He has lost all his software discs and licences.
    They want to "clone" the setup to the newer machine.

as far as i know this is impossible with windows, and previous atempts have failed.

Does anybody know of a way to get this right or has it been done before?
    also is there any other ways to get around this?

Re: Server 2003 cloning to new hardware.

Question number 1. Is the present Server Operating System a Retail version or an OEM version? If it is an OEM version then he will need to go and putchase a new copy. An OEM version is tied to the motherboard so an OEM version of the operating system CANNOT be moved to new hardware or it is in breach of the EULA.

Question number 2. If it is a retail version then have a look at Swing Migration. Yes I know it says SBS but have a read about what O/S it will actually do.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Not very sure - what if we install norton ghost and take an image of the server and restore it on the other server. will this help ?

Comment

Almost certainly not, most imaging programs are unable to cope with restoring to dissimilar hardware. Symantec BESR is an exception, and there are a couple of others. Bear in mind that if this OEM software you will also be in breach of the EULA as Biggles77 mentioned if you restore to another server.

If it is OEM there will be a COA sticker on the server casing. If it is not OEM there is a chance it is volume licensed, in which case a call to Microsoft may be worth while as the software should be downloadable from eopen or whatever it's called this week.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

he has "lost" his license and software ? ok i gotta be honest - i'd be being really, really, really careful in this situation.
          We have a client who, after having a number of Office patches approved, started getting workstations saying 'this version of office has been activated too many times"

I stepped right back from what I was doing, and spoke to my boss..

I'm fairly lacking in trust of other people though, but I wonder if he has really lost them, or never had them..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

hey guys thanks for the replies

well tehcamel i was sceptical about this as well but they have assured me the software is legal and i have warned them if there is any chance i find out ill report them.

the problem started when they contracted another IT company to handle thier day to day issues and to make a long story short they messed up really bad.

im here to do damage control as they have already lost alot of business and have paid alot for IT. This is why im thinking of being able to clone to new hardware as a cheaper alternative. we have searched the premises and have tried numerous times to contact the old IT company but it seems they have vanished off the face of this earth.

biggles77, to answer your question.
            They do have a OEM version. so i guess that the server clone is not possible and you have answered my question. Thanks.

If i may, may i ask if you guys know of any other alternative way to go about this cheaply?

Comment

if it's oem - your only option is a new licence...
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Depending on the size of the business, and I am thinking like less than 75 users, then SBS 2008 OEM on a new Server is a very cheap solution. It will all be knowingly legal, up to date (whereas Server 2003 is now 6 years old), you can document the licenses correctly and get them up and running in minimal time. Best of all, you can use Swing Migration to move it all from the old to the new.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X