"windows cannot access the specified device path or file"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "windows cannot access the specified device path or file"

This is only on server 2003. Even executing the file from the local hard drive I get this error. IE 7 is installed but I have removed the Enhanced Security. Tried adding the machine I am executing it on in Intranet and Trusted Sites but no good. Didn't think this would matter as enhanced security is gone anyway. And there is no UNBLOCK property on the file.

What's up? Could it be Group Policy? I have just started enforcing stricter policies. Funny thing is this *.exe will execute on XP and Vista that have IE7 with
    no problem.

Re: "windows cannot access the specified device path or file"

And I have an update. I tried executing the same file on another server that did not (and never had) IE7 installed. So this is a GPO issue I am pretty sure.
    Just not sure what would cause this.

Other things I notice if I execute this from a shared drive I get the message
    "The publisher could not be verified, are you sure you wnt to run this software?". If I copy it to a local hard drive on the server it does not give the "publisher" message, just outright fails with "windows cannot access the specified device path or file".

Comment

Some details would be nice as all you have provided is generalisms.

What are you trying to run/execute?
      From where are you trying to run/execute the file?
      Under what User Account are you trying to run/execute the file?
      Where is the file/application/program located?
      What permissions does the file/application/program have applied to it?
      etc
      etc
      etc
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Trying to execute an installer for eclipse. This also happens with an installer for weblogic. Other executables will work okay like notepad.exe and other third party executables.

From where?
        "If I copy it to a local hard drive on the server it does not give the "publisher" message, just outright fails with "windows cannot access the specified device path or file".

Logged in as self, who is domain admin. Permissions on file admin, my account full control. There is no "Unblock" button. Been through all that.

Comment

Are you logged onto the Local Machine or when it is on the Domain?
          When the file has been copied to the workstation, do you right click and Run As Administrator? Remember XP is a bit different to Vista. On XP what account do you use? Local Administrator or your Domain Administrator account?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Okay got much further. Having ruled out IE7 I remember seeing something odd about 16-bit installers. Right click the file and no version tab it is a 16 bit
            application.

So I found I can run the application from a DOS window! Now to figure that out.

BTW this is not a permission thing as far as I can see. I am logged in as admin in all cases and installation ONLY fails on SOME Server 2003 machines.

Comment

Working...
            X