X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ftp transfert

hello i have a server 2003 with iis and a ftp
    the internet connection is 2048 KB/S

i ve an another site with a xp workstation with a internet connection : 1024 kB/s. when i download a thing on the ftp server , i can download only with 33 kb/s why ?

is there a thing to do on the server (under iis) ?

Do you have a Synchronise or Asynchronise DSL connection? Your "download speed" may be 1024, but what is the "up speed". 33k/sec gives an up speed of around 320k (more likely 384k and you have poor throughput). You are only going to be able to send the file as fast as the slowest connection.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ans

the 2 internet connection are : ADSL
      one 2048 and the other 1024

is there a set to the ftp to do in iis ?

Comment

Sorry about the previous post, I went off in the wrong direction.

Does your router have a facility to assign bandwidth to ports (ie port 21)?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
          Sorry about the previous post, I went off in the wrong direction.
          I think you are right biggles. He has ADSL so the upstream when used on both sites will be in play.

Site A [Downstream 2048 Upstream 384??]
          Site B [Downstream 1024 Upstream 128??]

So when site B downloads from site A the max speed is determined by the Upstream of site A.

A way to sort the whole thing out is to download something using HTTP from Site A using Site B and see if the speed is any different. If it is then it is a problem with FTP. If not then it is the limitation of ADSL.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The problem is your line is ADSL which will have a limited upload speed.

Comment

After I applied some grey matter to the problem, I thought it is more unlikely that the DSL is the chokepoint. The file is being downloaded from the FTP server and that has a 2048 connection. It would mean the upstream side of the server connection would have to be 384k (the client has a 1024 connection 108k/sec download), to allow for 33k/sec.

Until Milo can tell us the upstream speed of the server we won't know for sure, though I can't imagine a 2048/384 connection.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X