Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange System Attendant fails to start automatically after additional DC is added

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange System Attendant fails to start automatically after additional DC is added

Hi All

This is my first post on Petri so my apologies if there are any unintentional etiquette violations. I have performed a couple of searches on Petri before posting and there is related but not identical issues or resolutions currently. However, it leads me to believe my problem is DNS related. Let me explain:

I have a Windows 2003 SP2 Active directory environment. The AD controller has Exchange 2003 SP2 installed and has never caused me any problems. Recently, as I was expanding our infrastructure, I added an additional Windows 2003 SP2 AD controller. This installed fine and replication seems to be going without a hitch. Before promoting the machine to a DC I ensured the Advanced DNS options were pointing towards the existing DC. This all seems to work fine.

However, a month has passed and as a result of installing some Windows updates I needed to reboot the exisiting DC where exchange is present. Upon reboot, the exchange system attendant and dependancy services failed to start. The first error I see in the event log is EventID 2114:

Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=1756). Topology Discovery failed, error 0x80040952.

You then get EventID 1005:

Unexpected error The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Facility: Win32 ID no: c007054b Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred

This causes a number of Exchange services to fail for obvious reasons. However, manually starting the services resolves the problem and everything returns to working order. Looking on these forums and many other, MS offer guidance and point in the general direction of permissions. However, the following Petri forum posts points to DNS which is where I believe the problem to be:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...omatically+DNS

The symptoms look identical however, the only difference here is my initial DC which is having the issues points to itself for AD DNS so I cannot see how it would have a problem seeing itself. The only error that explicitly seems to point to DNS is as follows in my event log at the same time as the other errors. The server referenced (Everest) is the new additional DC.

Your expertise would be greatly appreciated. I am sure this is a simple DNS record problem or that the DC is pointing to the wrong server. However, my settings I believe are correct.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: NTDS Replication
    Event Category: DS RPC Client
    Event ID: 2088
    Date: 03/12/2009
    Time: 08:50:58
    User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Computer: OLYMPUS
    Description:
    Active Directory could not use DNS to resolve the IP address of the source domain controller listed below. To maintain the consistency of Security groups, group policy, users and computers and their passwords, Active Directory successfully replicated using the NetBIOS or fully qualified computer name of the source domain controller.

Invalid DNS configuration may be affecting other essential operations on member computers, domain controllers or application servers in this Active Directory forest, including logon authentication or access to network resources.

You should immediately resolve this DNS configuration error so that this domain controller can resolve the IP address of the source domain controller using DNS.

Alternate server name:
    everest
    Failing DNS host name:
    92b0c39d-efb4-484b-9c6e-d5723503383f._msdcs.SecurityIP.local

NOTE: By default, only up to 10 DNS failures are shown for any given 12 hour period, even if more than 10 failures occur. To log all individual failure events, set the following diagnostics registry value to 1:

Registry Path:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Diagno stics\22 DS RPC Client

User Action:

1) If the source domain controller is no longer functioning or its operating system has been reinstalled with a different computer name or NTDSDSA object GUID, remove the source domain controller's metadata with ntdsutil.exe, using the steps outlined in MSKB article 216498.

2) Confirm that the source domain controller is running Active directory and is accessible on the network by typing "net view \\<source DC name>" or "ping <source DC name>".

3) Verify that the source domain controller is using a valid DNS server for DNS services, and that the source domain controller's host record and CNAME record are correctly registered, using the DNS Enhanced version of DCDIAG.EXE available on http://www.microsoft.com/dns

dcdiag /test:dns

4) Verify that that this destination domain controller is using a valid DNS server for DNS services, by running the DNS Enhanced version of DCDIAG.EXE command on the console of the destination domain controller, as follows:

dcdiag /test:dns

5) For further analysis of DNS error failures see KB 824449:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824449

Additional Data
    Error value:
    11004 The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Re: Exchange System Attendant fails to start automatically after additional DC is add

For a bit of insight: I see that error about not being able to lookup the other DC by DNS on both our DCs, every time they boot.
    Both our DCs point to themselves for DNS.

I always suspect this error is related to the server trying to resolve addresses via dns, for AD, but dns hasn't started yet, so i ignore it, when it happens at boot.

Regarding system attendant issue, if you start the SA manually, does it work or does it fail even if you do it manually ?

if it starts when you do it manually, then I suspect service startup order may need to change.
    Otherwise - check where your Global Catalog role is based. I think exchange, when on a DC (which is not recommended..)O needs to be installed on a server that it also a DC.

Also - go into ESM and under recipient update services, for both the enterprise and domain level recipient update policies, check what the domain controller is configured as.
    futher down under administrative groups, first administrative group, right click on the server name, and choose properties, then review the Directory Access tab..
    should have config, gc and dc in there

That's teh things I'd start looking at..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Exchange System Attendant fails to start automatically after additional DC is add

Is DNS working on your server??

What server does your DC point to for DNS reolution??

Should be pointing to itself first then another INTERNAL server next.

Is your new server a GC?? Maybe you need to tick that little box.

Have you ran DCDIAG and NETDIAG on the affected DC??

Comment

Thanks for the prompt replies!

I think the service startup order is definitely a good suggestion. My only concern is that this never used to happen and would appear to only have started since an additional DC that was added. I am wondering if DNS has done something funny as a result of an additional DNS sever on the network.

In answer to both of your questions, both DC's point to themselves for DNS as they both DNS servers. Both the DCs are also Global Catalogues so they can service logon requests. The Exchange server (the box the problem is occurring on) has the NIC settings pointing to a preffered DNS server only (no alternative) and is set to point to itself using localhost 127.0.0.1. Could this in itself be an issue? Should this explicitly point to itself via its static IP as opposed to 127.0.0.1? Furthermore, should I specify the IP of the other DC as alternative DC? I would expect this best practice but not sure if this is related.

Looking in ESM on the problem DC, the correct server (itself) is specified as the DC.

Thanks for the suggestions on dcdiag and netdiag. I will give these a go.

Anything stand out from the above?

Thanks.

Andy

Comment

Yes, the DNS settings on the Exchange server could be causing the problem. Set the DNS servers on the Exchange server to use the first DC as primary and the second DC as secondary. Then check in ESM to make sure Exchange is configured to use both for Directory Access and is actually seeing both.

Comment

to follow on from joeqwerty - I'd make sure that a dc points to it's own static address, not 127.0.0.1
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi All

Thanks for your responses to this. I changed the DNS to explicitly reference the IP address (itself) as opposed to using localhost. Ive also added the alterntive DNS as my additional DC. After reboot, the issues no longer occur so it does look like there was either an issue with localhost being specified instead of the actual IP, or that secondary DNS allowed for the name of the server to be resolved whilst primary DNS was down.

All sorted now so many thanks for you help. On a very quick side note, is there anyway I can determine what DNS server was used to resolve the address at this time? No doubt this would be impracticle and lead to no end of unnecessary logging. Just though I would ask

Thanks again

Andy

Comment

I can't think of any particular way sorry champ :/

(ps - nice name :P)

Comment

Working...
                X