Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the user name could not be found - Accessing cross domain resources after NT4 in plac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the user name could not be found - Accessing cross domain resources after NT4 in plac

Hi guys,

I have performed an in place upgrade on an old NT4 domain. The replication and everything is working fine.

We have one root domain and 2 child domains (one upgraded NT4 domain). One child domain is working fine and has been in place for years. As part of the NT4 upgrade process I joined the domain to the existing AD forest to give us the one root and 3 child structure.

When a user tries to access a resource across in the other child domain it gets the error:

\\pc.domainchild.root.local is not accessable. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions.

The user name could not be found.

I've validated the trusts and even created a shortcut trust. I can resolve names in the other domain correctly however I'ma bit lost as to where the problem lies.

If i look in the event log og the local computer i see the message:
    The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server cifs/server1.child.root.local. No authentication protocol was available.

If i try and access the server by IP address this works fine so I assume its a dns related problem. Im confused though as name resolution is working fine as far as i can see. I can access other resources in the remote domains fine. The problem seems to be isolated to this one server.

Can anyone help?
Working...
X