Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can IIS 6 authenticate domain users when in workgroup ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can IIS 6 authenticate domain users when in workgroup ?

Hi everyone.
    Suppose I have a Windows 2003 server which is not a member of any domain. I would like to authenticate users accessing the IIS 6.0 on the windows 2003 server against a domain controller (for the sake of simplicity, a windows 2000/2003 active directory server which connected to the same LAN on which the Win2k3 server resides, so there are no networking restrictions imposed)
    Is that feasible ?

When I configure a realm name (as well as default domain) on the security tab of virtual directroy properties as well as granting access to underlying file system (everyone), Authentication fails any domain users.

Regards,
    Nir

What accounts are you then authenticating against ?

I.E, What accounts are you using in your NTFS permissions and what permissions have you set on the Virtual Directory ?

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

NTFS permissions:
      The underlying file system is configured with 'everyone' permission (i.e. everyone can access the file system)

IIS permissions:
      Suppose I would like to authenticate agains domain MyDomain
      1. the realm is configured with the domain name MyDomain
      2. when browsing the site and retrieving the 401 pop up I submit the following credentials
      User: MyDomain\aValidUserName
      Pass: ThePassword

Thanks

Comment

If you have everyone full control then why are you wanting to authenticate ?

I don't think it's possible, as you will need to set your NTFS permissiosn to actually lock down access, and you wouldn't be able to choose the Domain accounts to lock down to.

Chris
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Working...
        X