Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS service and server startup problems

1. Duplicate records in DNS
    Since workstations are using fix IP in LAN, I find some duplicate IP address after changing computer for users.

e.g. 192.168.1.100 is for computername ENG001. This user changed new computer to ENG123 and assign reserved IP address 192.168.1.100 from DHCP server. Then Old computer ENG001 won't be able to get IP after remove reserved IP on DHCP server.

But it still appears two record with same IP on AD domain server's DNS forward lookup zones.
    ENG001 Host(A) 192.168.1.100 * not exist
    ENG123 Host(A) 192.168.1.100 * exist

What is the correct steps to solve this duplicate records? Any settings are wrong?

2. 1st DNS server down but cannot access internet through 2nd DNS?

We have two AD server with DNS integrated. IP are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

When 192.168.1.1 server is down for maintenance, user still cannot access internet or check emails. 192.168.1.2 dns server seems cannot provide dns service? Any settings are missing?

3. Long startup time.

We are using HP ProLiant ML350 G5 (Quad-Core Xeon E5410, 4G Ram) with Windows 2003 AD Server. When we turn on or restart server, it needs 10 minutes to appear windows logon screen. Is it normal for long startup period?

Re: DNS service and server startup problems

Originally posted by userhk View Post

We are using HP ProLiant ML350 G5 (Quad-Core Xeon E5410, 4G Ram) with Windows 2003 AD Server. When we turn on or restart server, it needs 10 minutes to appear windows logon screen. Is it normal for long startup period?
    my sbs server takes almost 30 minutes.
    do you have a second domain controller ? quite often it will be looking for the rest of the domain to qualify itself and dns and things like that.

2. 1st DNS server down but cannot access internet through 2nd DNS?

We have two AD server with DNS integrated. IP are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

When 192.168.1.1 server is down for maintenance, user still cannot access internet or check emails. 192.168.1.2 dns server seems cannot provide dns service? Any settings are missing?
    use nslookup to test whether the server 192.168.1.2 provides dns services at all - then i can help you further. i suspect i know what it may be however.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

1. Right click select delete.

2. Do your clients have the 2nd DNS server in the TCP/IP properties, either via DHCP or Static???

3. Check DNS. What does the server point to for DNS resolution???

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        my sbs server takes almost 30 minutes.
        do you have a second domain controller ? quite often it will be looking for the rest of the domain to qualify itself and dns and things like that.
        Thats not normal, at least i don't thin so anyway.

I'd seriously be checking that server out for issues.

Comment

it's an sbs server, and in honesty, it's prolly 30 minutes for a reboot..

due for retirement... moving away from sbs...

howver, it has all sorts of other things installed on it too.. quickbooks, a case management system, exchange, etc
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            1. Right click select delete.

2. Do your clients have the 2nd DNS server in the TCP/IP properties, either via DHCP or Static???

3. Check DNS. What does the server point to for DNS resolution???
            Re:
            2. I've found the problem that the 2nd DNS server's firewall is on and block the dns port.

3. This server configures dns servers are: 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.2 (2nd dns server). Do u mean this information?

Comment

Remove the 127 address and put the actual server address.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Remove the 127 address and put the actual server address.
                Just that? Ok, will do it....Many thanks.

Comment

THere was a reason for not using the loopback address and actually using the servers address but i really can't remember what it was. I've always just setup the DNS settings with the actual address.

Comment

Working...
                  X