Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Issues

Hi there,

I have a few rather annoying issues with a Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server.

When a user accessing their server session from a HP Thin Client first logs in of a morning/afternoon etc a temporary or 'shortend' profile is loaded. We normally map all of the needed shortcuts to programs etc through the Start Menu pinning point. When they log in the first time these programs do not appear.

However, when they are logged off and then back on again, the users program shortcuts appear and all is good in the world - what i do realise from the time that they log in the second time around a notification appears in the system tray telling the user that their "network drives could not be connected". This message does not appear the first time that they have to log on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue may be? Its not just one user its everyone.

Kind Regards,
    Nick

Re: Profile Issues

Hello Nick
    As per the issue you have described, it looks like there is some profile/group policy related issue.
    Few questions for you.
    1. You mentioend that users are using Thin Clients. Does this issue only occurs on Thin Clients, or have you checked it on regular desktop machine.
    2. Did you check for any reported event in the event viewer for the first time, when the user logs in?
    3. Does the user have roaming profile, or regular TS Profile.
    4. The drives and the programs you are mapping to the TS users, is it done through script or Group Policy.

Regards,
    Pledge Technologies.
    Best Regards,
    Pledge Technologies

Comment

Originally posted by PledgeTechnologies View Post
      Hello Nick
      As per the issue you have described, it looks like there is some profile/group policy related issue.
      Few questions for you.
      1. You mentioend that users are using Thin Clients. Does this issue only occurs on Thin Clients, or have you checked it on regular desktop machine.
      2. Did you check for any reported event in the event viewer for the first time, when the user logs in?
      3. Does the user have roaming profile, or regular TS Profile.
      4. The drives and the programs you are mapping to the TS users, is it done through script or Group Policy.

Regards,
      Pledge Technologies.
      Hi There Pledge Technologies,

Thanks for your reply.
      At the moment the issue isn't discriminatory amongst thin clients or regular Desktop PCs and laptops, i find that the issue is more prevalent after a server reboot or during return to work on a monday after the weekend.

Have checked the event logs of the session which returns nothing abnormal. One instance did show that a domain controller could not be contacted.

The users have a regular terminal services profile, as we have 500 users spread across 4 terminal servers space is limited.

The drive map is done via Group Policy or could have changed otherwise in the past few weeks, i will ask my co-workers to confirm this for you.

As far as i know this issue has been on going and the owners of the business are getting quite frustrated with the concept of having to log on, log off and then repeat a few times in order to load the correct profile.

Thanks for your assistance, it is much appreciated.
      Nick

Comment

Hello Nick,

1. Install the UPH Clean utility on the Terminal Server. (It will require a reboot)
        [http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...isplaylang=en]

2. Create a test user, put it in a TEST OU, Block the Policy Inheritance on the OU. Test for any reported problem with the user.

3. If everything works fine, add a seprate policy for mapping drives, and test again. (You might have to repeat the process with multiple logon to check and confirm this)

4. And finally, if nothing works, Enable the Userenv Debug Logging on the Terminal Server, and attach the log here so that we can review it.
        [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221833]

Thanks,
        Pledge Technologies
        Best Regards,
        Pledge Technologies

Comment

Working...
        X