Active Directory Integrated DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Integrated DNS

I have been struggling with this for many months and I am tired of deleting duplicate records in reverse lookup zone. I can not figure out how to keep the reverse zone up to date. "A" records are ok, but when I do things like nslookup on an internal IP, it will come back as "User A", but the "A" record says it should be "User B" and it is "User B" on the network. So then I delete the PTR record manually and then it shows up as "User B" in a few hours and everything works again. So I have been looking scavaging, but it doesnt seem to work properly. I have all XP clients except for like 3 that run 2000. I created a standard username called DHCPAdmin for updating records on behalf of the DHCP server, but nothing seems to work. Anyone have suggestions?

Re: Active Directory Integrated DNS

how long is your DHCP lease period ?

als - make sure that the option "allow any device to upadte this record" is selected.. in the dns console..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

DHCP lease is 8 days. I have users that turn their PCs off at night and users that do not. I also have users that leave their laptops in the office and users that take them home. I think that has something to do with it too. I do not see the option of "allow any device to upadate this record" anywhere in the DNS console, where can I find this option?

Comment

Try this:

DHCP console:
        Right click on server. Select Properties
        Change to DNS tab.

I've got ticks in:
        Enable Dynamic DNS according to settings below:
        [x]Always dynamically update dns A and PTR records.
        [x] discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Got that! What does everyone have for aging and scavaging settings? Default? 21 total days for aging and scavaging seems long....

Comment

Originally posted by Stevenjwilliams83 View Post
            Got that! What does everyone have for aging and scavaging settings? Default? 21 total days for aging and scavaging seems long....

I have 7 days for aging, daily for scavaging.

Comment

to be honest - i have no idea on what our aging/scavenging is. we have such a small environment it doesn't seem much use
              however it might be good to learn baout..

Comment

Working...
              X