Slow Network Share Response

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Network Share Response

I have problem with slow read response to files shared on my s2003r2 Domain Controller. When trying to access a shared folder form a client, there is sometimes a delay of say 10 to 15 seconds before the folder contents are displayed and file copies are sometimes slower that you'd expect.

I've tried disabling ICF without any improvement. The problem may stem from hardening the server with SCW, although I have tried reversing the applied policy without any improvement. Details of security hardening on the server are contained in the following file:

http://sites.google.com/site/paulfri...attredirects=0

Does anybody have any ideas where to start trouble-shooting this issue, I haven't yet tried disabling anti-virus for example.

The security log shows that the clients are authenticating by Kerberos, not reverting to NTLM.

I have to get this sorted, we have a new app about to come on line that needs to access a database on this machine.

Re: Slow Network Share Response

I feel like a bit of a wally When I disable real-time AV scanning on the sever, SMB read performance returns!

This is using ESET NOD32 Anti Virus 4 Business addition version 4.0.437.0.

I don't get this performance issue when reading from shares on other XP machines. I shall contact my AV vendor and see what can be done.

Comment

i got stung with Trend Micro scanning, in combination with our backups.. it's depressing that it took me alomst 2 months to realise that the weekly backup had stretched out from 14 hours to almost 30...

fixed that with some scripts..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_P View Post
        I feel like a bit of a wally When I disable real-time AV scanning on the sever, SMB read performance returns!

This is using ESET NOD32 Anti Virus 4 Business addition version 4.0.437.0.

I don't get this performance issue when reading from shares on other XP machines. I shall contact my AV vendor and see what can be done.
        This is a known problem forr NOD32 v4. you need to install latest edition and configure according to this aticle
        http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page...nt&id=SOLN2144

bio..

Comment

Well, specified below all can be possiblities of the actual issue...lets just start troubleshooting

questions:

Q1: Is the file server and client machine in same subnet/Location?
          Q2: What happen if you access file server from same location?
          Q3: If you try to access the sahre from the fileserver itself, does the operation take similar amount of time?

Troubleshooting
          Q: try analysing the netmon trace while accessing the server from the client machine

Give it a shot

1) try dfsutil /purgeMUPcache on the client, see if the helps to make it faster
          2) try to stop the webclient service on the client and see if that helps
          3) cleanboot /MS config, both the client and File server

karan
          Best Regards,
          Pledge Technologies

Comment

As I said before, it's an issue with real-time anti-virus scanning. I have updated the Antivirus on the server to 4.0.474.0. The problem was indeed with the previously installed version 4.0.437.0 as suggested by Bio.

The Eset knowledge-base suggests a configuration on file servers, disabling real time scanning of network drives, and to create exclusions for essential file types. I thought the whole point is to scan the whole lot, if I have something suspicious lurking in a file I want to know about it!!!

With the latest version installed I have enabled the scanning of all files with no exceptions and the performance seems to be very good so far.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X