Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share permissions not flowing down.

Hello,

I'm trying to get educational software to work on the school network I manage. The server is running Server 2K3 Std. and the clients are running XP. The software works over lan but it cannot access it's subfolders.

Let me explain.

The software is in the folder \\Server01\Software\Taal Actief\. In \Taal Actief\ is an exe file that starts the program. However, when the program is installed a paramater is given to the shortcuts on the local machines which calls another exe file in a lower folder (\\Server01\Software\Taal Actief\fscomand\ which it cannot open.

This has to do with the fact that user can access \\Server01\Software\Taal Actief\ which is explicitely shared. And can browse to subfolder fscomand but cannot acces \\Server01\Software\Taal Actief\fscomand\ straight away when you type it in in explorer. It just says "Access Denied" even to domain admin.

The rights seem okay because I can browse the share manually but I cannot connect to subfolders and files directly. Is there a way where share permissions flow down just like rights do?

Or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Frans.

Re: Share permissions not flowing down.

Providing inheritence is enabled on the folder fscomand it should work fine. You say you cannot access "\\Server01\Software\Taal Actief\fscomand\" directly but cant browse to it once you're in \\Server01\Software\Taal Actief\ - are you prompted for authentication at all when you browse original to the \Taal Actief\" folder?

As a test does it work if you use it as a mapped drive at logon - this would mean authentication as already occurred so you should be able to go straight to x:\fscomand\

Neil
    Last edited by Marlon; 1st December 2009, 15:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
      Providing inheritence is enabled on the folder fscomand it should work fine. You say you cannot access "\\Server01\Software\Taal Actief\fscomand\" directly but cant browse to it once you're in \\Server01\Software\Taal Actief\ - are you prompted for authentication at all when you browse original to the \Taal Actief\" folder?

As a test does it work if you use it as a mapped drive at logon - this would mean authentication as already occurred so you should be able to go straight to x:\fscomand\

Neil
      Thanks for the response. I am not prompted for anything. It just says access denied.

When I network map the fscomand folder using net use in a startup script it is perfectly accessible.

Strange.

Comment

Hard to imagine I'm the only one having this.

Comment

Working...
        X