New WSUS 3.0 Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WSUS 3.0 Install

I have been given the task of setting up a WSUS 3.0 server for our enviroment. Turns out they have no WSUS setup. I am famailiar with WSUS as I have troubleshot issues and such. However my dilema is that I have never done a fresh install in a production enviroment. So I'm not sure what server (if it matters) to install WSUS on.

Our setup is (everything is server 2003)
    1pr DC & 1 sc DC
    1 Ex 2007 server
    1 Backup/BES server
    1 SQL 2005 server

I know not to install it on a DC and that IIS has to be installed, So given the two DC's are out. Does it matter what server to install it on?

Thanks

Re: New WSUS 3.0 Install

What's the SQL 2005 server used for?
    That seems to be a good candidate.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

It is our DB server, also host our sharepoint admin

Comment

Definitely not the DC's. I'd go with the backup server, WSUS uses little resources.

Comment

Originally posted by New_Admin View Post
          It is our DB server, also host our sharepoint admin
          You can install it there but make sure you specify a different port for WSUS when installing it as the default is already used by sharepoint.
          More on that: http://mountainrambling.blogspot.com...me-server.html

Other than that the BE/BES server should be good as well.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by mattr2110 View Post
            Definitely not the DC's. I'd go with the backup server, WSUS uses little resources.
            Well, it does need a decent chunk of disk space depending on how many products you are updating, so make sure you choose an appropriate (non-system) partition. Apart from that it's pretty light.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Installing on the DB server (assuming there is enough hd space) could be a good idea as WSUS requires a database to track all the assets etc so could make the install a little easier.

I find the only thing with WSUS thats slow is the mmc interface, that can be a little unresponsive

Comment

IMHO use the backup server (load / criticality is lower) with the db on the SQL server
                Storage space is more important than performance -- WSUS can cheerfully take 30Gb+
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by g7rpo View Post
                  Installing on the DB server (assuming there is enough hd space) could be a good idea as WSUS requires a database to track all the assets etc so could make the install a little easier.

I find the only thing with WSUS thats slow is the mmc interface, that can be a little unresponsive
                  BE/BES server uses SQL also, so that could also be an option. Besides WSUS can also use the Windows Internal database engine, so in effect it could be down to the server that has the most system resources available .
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                  X