Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question regarding webserver and mail server

Hello all:

As we are making big changes around here i was wondering what the implications of running the webserver and mail server on the same 2003 server box.

The reason behind this is i can use 1 computer for both and have it in a dmz and also the webmail portion of the mail server needs iis to operate and i am already using iis on the webserver.

Re: question regarding webserver and mail server

Well, I think that would be fine to do - after all, MS do that by offering those two capabilities on the same box, namely, Small Business Server.

All I would caution against is having too much capability in the DMZ - i.e. keep this box doing only those roles two with minimum other functionality. Keep it secure - run the best practices analyzer and the security baseline analyzer to help you out.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

At risk of stating the obvious,
      I would recommend keeping the mailboxes on a backend server.
      Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

Yes, Silver23, you are right. In fact, he can keep the server on the LAN and not put it in the DMZ at all - just forward (or open) ports 80 and 443 for web traffic and if you have an MX record pointing to your public IP address open port 25 for SMTP incoming email as well.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
        X