Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Shared Directories to New Partition

Hi,
    I am in the process of upgrading our older Windows 2000 Server Dell Power Vault with new 500GB drives. Once done with the physical upgrade I will have 4 new partitions that will be set in a RAID 5 config. I need to move all user and and some other shared directories to the new RAID 5 partition. All drives are mapped to each user via login scripts. Here is what I think will do the deed and not disrupt the permissions and drive mappings. Will this work?

I'll use robocopy to sync the directories with all permissions and identical names to not shared directories on the new partition. Once the sync is complete and after hours during a maintenance window I will un-share the old directories on the old partition and share the new directories on the new partition.

My thoughts are that this will allow the same permissions and not require changing of drive mappings.

Am I wrong?

Re: Moving Shared Directories to New Partition

If your NTFS permission going to be the same and the share name identical, so the user should not notice any difference after your maintenance.

I already got the case of losing all the data from the file server. we recover from the daily backup the all data to another server with enough disk space, change the mapping on all login script and after all, tell the user to relog on them computer.
    After what everything looked fine for them.
    When the damaged file server was up and running we did the same, change all the login script.

Hope this small "story" going to make you more confident.
    From the land of the rising sun ...

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for the reply. Yes I went through a similar story a couple of years back. I do have the daily back up as the fall back but that would not be optimal. I think I will test this beofor I do it.

Comment

I didn't really means that you should use your daily backup in your case.
        It was only a exemple i went through.
        I say that to try to Let you be more confident about the fact that if the nts permission are the same, you shouldn't have any worries about your share.
        From the land of the rising sun ...

Comment

Working...
        X