DNS Replication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Replication

Does replication work the same way on non-active directory integrated DNS servers as it does in active directory integrated DNS servers? I have only worked with active direcotry DNS so I am unaware the differences.

Re: DNS Replication

Ok so i can get the secondary zone to transfer a zone from the master, but only when the master zone is set to zone transfer to any server. If I configure the zone on the master to only allow transfers to the servers in the name server tabs or tell it the IP of the secondary server, the secondary zone gives an error that the zone transfer from the master server failed.

I check the DNS logs and get this:

A zone transfer request for the secondary zone mydomain.com was refused by the master DNS server at 1.1.1.1 Check the zone at the master server 1.1.1.1 to verify that zone transfer is enabled to this server. To do so, use the DNS console, and select master server 1.1.1.1 as the applicable server, then in secondary zone mydomain.com Properties, view the settings on the Zone Transfers tab. Based on the settings you choose, make any configuration adjustments there (or possibly in the Name Servers tab) so that a zone transfer can be made to this server.

Now what is it that I need to do on the secondary server? Allow zone transfers on the secondary zone? I though secondary was read only?

Comment

Does anyone have anything? Do I need an Active Directory infrastructure to do zone transfers?

Comment

AD integrated has its advantages but its not required to do zone transfers.

Comment

AD integrated DNS zones are stored in the AD database as opposed to the text file based equivalent of the non integrated zones.
          As such only AD integrated zones replicate to other DCs based on the replication scope set.

For file based zones you'll need to perform a zone transfer.
          Saying that if you have non DC DNS servers in your environment, such as a BIND server or any other Non authorative DNS server you can still do zone transfers from Ad integrated zones.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X