X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATA & SCSI CD drives disappear

Hello,
    This under Windows 2003 Enterprise R2, updated:
    I have the original ATA Compaq CRD-8402B in my G1 Compaq ML570. There are two SCSI rewriters attached.

All show in start up, all have drivers that are up to date.

None now appear in Explorer, and show yellow in Device Manager. Event ID 7026 search gives no cure.

Nothing I can find relates to the fact that all three of the drives have vanished, that were once there and fully working. All three quitting physically is impossible (anyway, they all open and close when computer powered).

It is probable that the only cure is to install 2008, but I can't just yet, I'm waiting on RAM for another machine.

This box is the Domain Controller, and should I need to use a CD/DVD drive, I can't. Rats!

Re: ATA & SCSI CD drives disappear

What is the Code that is displayed in the Device status in Device Manager?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

All three devices have code 39: missing or corrupt driver. Rubbish of course.
      Nothing I can find on TechNet helps.

Soon to demote this machine, and make it a 2008 Datacenter X86 box, using another SCSI U320. That will only occur when the RAM comes for a "new" machine (2008 R2 Enterprise), which should cure other problems.

In the meantime, I just hope that none of the CD/DVD drives needs to be used!!

Comment

Try this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello,
          Unfortunately, the page was, according to Microsoft, not for this OS, and I have been unable to find anywhere that was!

By the end of this week, it won't matter, I hope

Comment

Nothing can be done with the machine with this OS: Windows 2003 Enterprise.
            Now, problems with logon and kerberos with this machine have been impossible to cure.
            I want to add roles to the new Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 that I have, but I don't want to add all of the problems with the 2003 AD if I can.
            I have constant problems with connecting between computers on this simple private domain. The main curse is the non-existent name that is purportedly there to prevent me seeing the machine from any other, including the domain controller, through Windows Networking.

The name I gave to the Windows 7 Ultimate (XW8200) box was Victory. This had a partner, I was told. I then renamed it to Gallowglass, which I have never ever used before. Same problem, with this nominal Server. What? A Workstation, dummy! Days spent perusing the web and MS for an answer. Nada.

So, what I would like to do is this: shut down the Domain Controller and install roles on the new XW8200 with an easily installed OS that is up-to-date, and see if I can create the identical private domain, so that minimum disruption occurs with users and computers on the network.

Then, I would shove a replacement drive into the old DC and see if I can install Windows Server Datacenter 2008 X86, without screwing the data on the drives (shouldn't because it's on an Adaptec RAID controller, a 3200S: which will still be there, won't it?).

If anyone has had to deal with a failed DC and been able to recreate the domain, of any degree of complexity, could they comment here? That would help me immeasurably.

FYI: gallowglass from the Scots: mercenaries of the Middle Ages, from whom my ancestors, the Black Douglases, developed!!!

Note this error from the image:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dickins_paul; 19th November 2009, 22:18. Reason: Extra information.

Comment

Working...
            X