• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to make a Windows Server 2003 partition bootable

Hello,

I have a laptop with three partitions, configured as follows:

Partition 1: XP (bootable)
    Partition 2: XP (bootable)
    Partition 3: Windows Server 2003 (non-bootable)

To log into Windows Server 2003 I select Partition 2 and then on the multi-boot menu that pops up I select the 2nd option which is the Windows Server 2003 O/S.

What I would like is to be able to log onto the Windows Server 2003 partition directly, but I have no idea how to achieve this.

Ideally I would like to retain the XP operating systems on Partitions 1 & 2, however if it’s necessary for me to blow these away then so be it.

Could some one please explain (in steps) how I could make Partition 3 bootable without losing the O/S on it?... Do I have to use the utilities “fxmbr” and “fixboot”, and if so how?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Sharon

Re: Would like to make a Windows Server 2003 partition bootable

Some further information.

Logged into the Windows 2003 Server, when I do My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Statup and Recovery->Settings I get the following message pop up:

"The C:\boot.in file can not be opened. Operating System
    and Timing settings cannot be change."

Then on the Startup and Recovery dialog box that pops up the Default operating system field is blank so there is no Boot.ini file to edit.

I guess this is because the necessary boot files are actually on the XP operating system, on Partition 2.

If I repeat the procedure logged into the XP operating system on Partition 2 I see the following entries in the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

So really I need to find someway of making the Windows Server 2003 Partiton bootable and to have the necessary boot files created for it.

Thanks

S

Comment

Re: Would like to make a Windows Server 2003 partition bootable

[boot loader]
      timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

Change to:
      [boot loader]
      timeout=30
      default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
      [operating systems]

(Do NOT include the strange spaces that are in the words Microsoft and Windows)
      Last edited by biggles77; 29th October 2009, 14:20.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X