Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO PTR records available in the Reverse lookup Zone

HI,

Seems to be there is an issue with the reverse lookup zone , there are only Names Server type of records available for the servers, execpt that nothing is there no PTR record is there ??

Zone is Active Directory Intergrated and Dynamic updates are set to SECURE ONLY.

Re: NO PTR records available in the Reverse lookup Zone

Is DHCP updating your associated PTR records in DNS for you???

Comment

NO , When if i am creating the HOST A record MANUALLY then PTR record gets created for the associated HOST A record. But what if i want for all the old PTR records for all the associated HOST A records.

PLz help

Comment

Is your DHCP server configured to automatically update A and PTR records?

Comment

Yes, Below are the options selected.

Dynamically updates DNS A and PTR records only if requested by the DHCP clients -- is checked

Dicard A and PTR records when lease is delete --- is checked.

Comment

Here i want to update that, i recreated the reverse lookup Zones for the affected subnet and still the issue is same. PTR records are not getting populated in the reverse lookup zone.

ONe strange thing is happening when i am creating the HOST A records manually then associated PTR records getting created for that particular host A record. But not automatically.

Comment

Folks, any update; is anybody provides the expert comment on the below issue.

Thanks

Comment

If you register an A record manually and the PTR record appears then your reverse lookup zone is obviously okay, have you configured your DNS servers in the DHCP server options?

If you switch on the option within DHCP to dynamically update, your existing hosts will only update their PTR record during a lease renewal.

I would have a look through your DHCP audit logs to see if any problems are reported, also turn on verbose logging on your DNS server.

You can also use Group Policy to force the clients to register their own PTR records:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > DNS Client > Register PTR Records

Hanley

Comment

HI Hanley,

Thanks for your reply, but here i am mentioned WHEN i CREATED an A record manully; instead of registering and the PTR record appears then your reverse lookup zone.

Once i created NEW HOST A record manually then only associated PTR record getting created otherwsie NO. While Deleteing and then registering - PTR records not getting created.

Comment

This is what Hanley meant:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Have you configured your DNS servers in the DHCP server options? NO it's not configured. Only Scope options is configured on that particular scope IP address.

Here i would like to add

1. I am having the reverse lookup Zone configured for the Servers IP address seperately for that PTR resource records getting created might be because that all HOST A records for servers created manually.

Thanks..

Comment

Let me explain more on my issue :-

Have two DC's server A and Server B , on both the server DHCP and DNS is configured .like below

Server A

Scope - 192.168.2.0
                        Address pool- 192.168.2.50 - 10.5.2.150

Scope - 192.168.4.0
                        Address Pool - 192.168.4.50 - 192.168.4.150

Server B

Scope - 192.168.2.0
                        Address Pool- 192.168.2.151 - 192.168.2.250

Scope - 192.168.4.0
                        Address Pool - 192.168.4.151 - 192.168.4.250

So can say i distributed the load.And on both the places scope options are configured with the below settings :-

Dynamically update DNS A and PTR record only if requested by the DHCP client is CHECKED
                        Discard A and PTR record when lease is deleted.
                        Now my issue is PTR records are not getting created and upadting in the reverse lookup zone for both of the scopes configured.

And if I assign a static IP computer then HOST A and associated PTR record getting created.DNS server does not have any error message on the Event Viewer

Comment

Here i would like to update you that i checked the DNS settings on workstation and what i observed that when "Register the connection's address in DNS" is CHECKED then PTR record not getting created register.

BUt when i am selecting the "USe this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" then PTR records getting created in reverse lookup.

But by default " Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration " is not select in any of the mahcines.

So what could be the issue. PLease find the below shapshot ( Attachment)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X