Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Settings Messing Laptop Internet when Not in Domain

Server 2003. Roles: DC, DNS

Problem: When I take laptop to school (or anywhere else for that matter), I cannot connect to the internet.

Laptop is part of a domain. When I take laptop outside of domain environment, say to school, I cannot connect to internet. Since I own the laptop, I can log on locally as administrator.
    I have set laptop TCP/IP settings to point to server's IP (primary) and router's IP (secondary) - if I don't, log-on time are obscenely long when in domain. However, this is also causing the problem, because when I try to use my laptop at school, the internet at school wont work unless I set DNS settings back to defaults.
    This is really annoying, anyone have a workout to this?

Re: DNS Settings Messing Laptop Internet when Not in Domain

Set up DHCP on the server and set the laptop to "obtain settings automatically"
    I assume your school has similar setup so you will pick up valid IP address at either location
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Set up DHCP on the server and set the laptop to "obtain settings automatically"
      I assume your school has similar setup so you will pick up valid IP address at either location
      Opps...I forgot to mention. That's the catch. I can't add DHCP role to server.

Isn't there an option where say:
      primary: 192.168.1.2 (server IP)

and if that doesn't work then secondary option should be to Obtain DNS Settings Automatically ???

Thank you

Comment

Its the other way around
        You can set up an alternate TCP/IP config with Automatic as your primary -- so auto works at school and the alternate configuration at home

but why can't you add the DHCP role?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X