Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 Server Reinstall, what to look out for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Server Reinstall, what to look out for?

Hi

I am a new system admin at a company, and I found things to be hectic over here. I need to do a reinstall of the Dataserver. Their domain consist of Two servers, both act as Active Directory Domain Controller. The RAID 5 is damaged, and backup fails always. For that I got two new drives, and I am going to do a reinstall.

What things are that i should look out for? I heard that when I reinstall a server with the same exact name, IP, etc. the Active Directory might get confused unless I remove the Old server from the AD, and when the new one is brought up, I join the AD again. Is this correct?

What else should I look after? I will take the server down tomorrow, and I would like to be sure, that all goes well. I made anote of all the Shares, and Printers attached, IP addresses, DNS, etc.

Thanks

Benedek

DRP

Well, you have a "few" problems..

1. Create a network diagram with network settings etc.
    2. Verity that you have the correct installation media for the
    operating system + application and you know how to install them.
    3. Backup the data to another server before format the server.
    4. Extract user mailboxs, public folders, username etc. (You can use
    Exmerge, ldif - there nice help guides in petri site.
    5. Check that you dont have other hardware problem - Raid problem may
    create due problmatic Raid adapter etc.
    6. Its will be wise to buy new servers and migrate the active directory,
    mailboxes etc to them. HP 380 G4 can be good server for this issue.
    7. Consider hire external company that will help you. Installation of
    servers without support satisfactory can create demage to the
    company.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi

Thanks for picking up the issue. We have a pretty good Xeon based server, so we dont really need and have the resources to spend on a new server. We just need to get new drives. We got 3 72GB drives, and will make a RAID 5 from those drives. The data is backed up onto the external HDD, and the Active Directory will still remain on the Exchange Server, as we are only installing the Dataserver again. Therefore there are no Email box issues thanks god.

THe only thing I am concerned is the active directory. I heard that I have to remove the server from the AD, and then do the install, and then join the already existing (on the exchange) Active Directory.

SO basically my question is, how much trouble can I have with joining already existing AD? Microsofts side claims it is trivial.

THanks

Benedek

Comment

So you want to format (basically) one of your domain controllers?

Maybe demote it from being a domain controller then reinstall and then promote again?

Ensure the DNS is available on the other DC before formatting.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Yes, basically just reformat it, just not with the same HDDs, new ones. You mean, that I should ensure the other DC has DNS services? Yes, even now, before reinstall, the other DC is the DNS server for this machine. Basically the Exchange box has the DNS service, and I am reinstalling the Data box, that is getting DNS from Exchange now, and will after the install. I should be fine, right?

So just demote from the AD, and then promote? That should be fine.

Thanks

Benedek

Comment

In my opinion but maybe some others on the forum have any other suggestions or things you need to do that i may have missed?
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

I am facing a problem. I cannot remove the Active Directory. It says, Access Denied, Enter an Enterprise Administrator credentials.

i am logged in as Administrator. I have all the rights possible.

I see this Event, that worries me.

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

Is this in connection? Other Events that show up, are these.

File Replication Service is initializing the system volume with data from another domain controller. Computer DATASERVER cannot become a domain controller until this process is complete. The system volume will then be shared as SYSVOL.

And this right after

The File Replication Service is no longer preventing the computer DATASERVER from becoming a domain controller. The system volume has been successfully initialized and the Netlogon service has been notified that the system volume is now ready to be shared as SYSVOL.

What might be the problem? If I cannot figure out, i have to dorce demote it, and then do the cleanup mess from the remaining domain controller.

I have 2003 SP1, so the cleanup of metadata should be easier I heard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Benedek

p.s. If you could reply now, that would be great. I am sitting in front of the server, my brain smoking...

Comment

Do you have schema admin and enterprise admin rights added to your administrator account?
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Hi

I have (had) both. Now, I decided to delete the thing, and dont waste more time. So I used dcpromo /forceremove or something similar command, and then another command to Delete the remaining Active Directory bits from the Exchange server, which is still a DC. It all seemed fine, and now I already built my RAID5 and the servers install is half way there. I will post back how was I successful in completing my original plan, to add the same Dataserver as DC with the same name, so my users will have no interruption on Monday in regards of the shares, etc.

Thanks

Benedek

Comment

Hi

It seems I was to quick to say all was fine. I am having the same problem,just now when I try to join the AD with the freshly installed server. It gives me the same problem. I tried even giving a different name to the server, so that maybe the AD has something left of the old
                    servers name, but it still failed the same way, Access Denied when moving $Dataserver from a computer to be a Domain controller. Something like this is in the error.

I am sure it is a Permission issue at this point, as when I try it with my regular (non administrator) usernam and pass, it fails also, but at an earlier stage, saying I do not have permission to do the Replication. (Replication is because this Server would be another DC next to the already existing DC.

Any suggestiong?

I try it with the basic administrator login, that has everything added to I could imagine, Domain Admin, Enterprise Admin, Schema Admin, DNS Admin, etc.

Thanks for any help

Benedek

EDIT: Here is an update, this is how the error looks exactly, I am copying and pasting it from the Error Window.

(start of paste)
                    The operation failed because: The Active Directory Installation Wizard was unable to convert the computer account DATASERVER$ to a domain controller account. "Access is denied."
                    (end of paste)

Dataserver is the name of the server I am tring to add to the Active Directory as DC.

Here is exactly what I see, when I go to the Administrator's property,and go to the Member of tab

Administrators
                    DnsAdmins
                    Doman Admins
                    Domain Users
                    Enterprise Admins
                    Schema Admins

Am I missing something?

thanks

Benedek

Comment

Working...
                    X